Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Jay - thanks for doing this

1. How you are currently improving your game

Watching cardrunners videos, reading the SSNL forum, reviewing my play, posting hands in SSNL and grunching hands( though not as often as I should).

I also recently tried to make a video and review it myself, but I'm having some trouble with camstudio so I need to figure that out.

Two post by sh58 have recently inspired me:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

So I also just moved down after a downswing and I'm trying to use that opportunity to learn how to win more non-showdown pots.

I play a bit everyday, maybe 10-15 hours per week on average.

I feel that I'm at a point on the learning curve where having a mentor would be very beneficial. However I don't have the bankroll to invest a $200 per hour coach at the moment

2. Your poker goals.

Short term (1-3 months: move back up to NL100 and beat it over >20k hands
Mid term (mid 2008): beat NL400 and be able to have a good additional income to my job
Long term (2009 or after): beat the high stakes, maybe try to go pro for a little while

In any case, my goal is to keep improving and become a better player

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

Just moved back down to NL50 after losing 20 buyins at NL100 over 22k hands. A lot of those losses was bad luck (ev is >15 buyins below), some of it was tilt (i.e. not playing my best game), but I have to admit that even my A game is not that good and that I need to retool it.

Otherwise I've moved up from NL10, and my stats are:

NL100 6max: -4ptbb/100 approx over 22k hands
NL100 heads up: 1.8ptbbb over 14000 hands
NL50: 5.8ptbb/100 over 24000 hands
NL25: 2.6 ptbb over 27000 hands
NL10 5.7 over 9000 hands

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

To be honest, I don't consider any of my strategy posts to be good. I guess I need to learn how to think/ express my thoughts in poker.

5. A little about yourself.

I'm 23. I moved from Europe to the USA a couple years ago, to get an engineering degree (masters). So I have a good analytic/math background. Now I have a job here as an analyst.

I should be able to help with the website. In the past I have played a bit with html/php/content management systems. Nothing really transcendent, but I should be able to give a hand.

I think I have the right attitude to join this group, and I would be really happy to be chosen.

I will make sure to give back to the community/twoplustwo once I have improved sufficiently.

PS. I'm taking some time off the internet for Thanksgiving, until next Monday.

Thanks for reading!

edit: it's funny you mention those two posts in your OP as examples of good thinking/attitude, as I've taken a look at the MSNL forums recently and also thought they were pretty good/inspiring posts
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM

1. How you are currently improving your game:

One of my friends (a 2+2er) and I sweat each other a ton during our sessions and talk about hands over Skype; outside of this, I participate in a lot of strategy discussion with other SSNL/MSNLers on AIM and IRC.

2. Your poker goals.

I'd like to become a winning player at 10/20+.

2/4nl. I've made almost $50k this year and probably around $80k lifetime. I'm definitely a winner at the games I play and have solid fundamentals, but the assistance of someone who already wins in the higher stakes games would really help me learn the skills necessary to make the transition higher.

Thinking about your range when bet-sizing
Hand played by a student of mine
In which I do maths
Deep stacks + reverse implied odds are scary

I just graduated college in June and now have (ZOMG BRACE YOURSELF) a real job as a software engineer; I still play poker almost every day though. While I make enough from poker right now to buy plasmas/video games/whatever I'd love to be at the point where I can sock away ridic amounts of money to be set for quite a few years and just start ballin' worldwide while leaving the real world behind. I also have a tendency to write entertaining trip reports involving failure with women, so obviously I need to get blinged out to start succeeding in this department.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the applications yet just skimmed but it does seem there aren't that many applications that want to run the website. The website is going to be extremely basic, a private log in for each student, a place to download videos (or we can use one of the free uploading sites) and a forum just for articles/hands/chat.

Being able and willing to do this will greatly increase your chances of getting in it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can setup the site for a private forum and a place to download/list videos (videos may have to be hosted on a free server though) with private logins.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 PM

1. How you are currently improving your game
I am currently reading the FR Forum daily. I also am about to get a card runners subscription so that I can start watching the videos.

2. Your poker goals.
My goals are to be able to beat online NL200 so that I can turn this hobby into my main source of income. Getting good enough to go higher is all gravy, but getting to and consistantly beating NL200 is the main goal currently.

Currently I play NL25-NL100. I win at NL25 and piss money away at NL100 it seems. It is a horrible loop I am in.
Poker wise, I probably have pulled off about 8k from online to real world.
I am also up about $4k at B&M this year over about 200 hours.

I suck at this game and therefore have not made any good strat posts yet.

I'm 31, Living in Las Vegas and am going to start playing a ton of live poker once April rolls around.
I have been playing online for a few years now and I have used it to make regular withdraws to buy my toys (PS3, Wii, parents bathroom remodel, etc).
I mainly play cash games, but play some SNG's once in a while and dabble in MTT's where I am trying to get better and more consistant as well. I have had a few big (for me) MTT scores. I won a $3r party tourney, 4th in a Stars 11r, and FT'd a couple others.

I am a low stakes donk who is bad at poker but looking to improve. I work a full time retail job and try to put in about 40-60 hours of poker on top of that per month.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 PM

yea megaupload seems perfect for the videos ... i think.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can setup the site for a private forum and a place to download/list videos (videos may have to be hosted on a free server though) with private logins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can prob do this too, have done websites w/ private logins before, haven't done forums but prob easy enough to set up given the availability of free forum packages. Hell, I am a software engineer. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM

I am willing/able to setup the site and help run it.

1. Watching cardrunners video's, always reviewing my sessions, lurking strat forums.

2. I'd like to be able to beat 5/10 NL online but would be more than happy beating 3/6.

3. Currently I'm playing .5/1 nl. I've played as high as 2/4 nl but that was on party back in the day. I played for a living at 1/2 for a year and half but gave it up because I wasn't getting anywhere and when the games started drying up it became harder for me to win.

4. I haven't made any strategy posts in a while.

5. I work from home writing software and I have a lot of flexibility in my schedule and as I've said I'm willing to help run the site and set it up. I'll name my first born after you if you pick me. I am very dedicated to improving my game right now and I would absolutely give back to the community if I get better.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Ok so I thought I would throw my name into the mix here.

I have thought about getting a coach for a long time and have recently started sessions with Bobofitos. While I think I have a solid knowledge of all the basics and fundamentals I still struggle in certain situations. My worst flaw is still tilt. I use to play at 100nl but have decided to drop down to 25nl while I work out my issues with tilt and lay a solid foundation upon which to build.

I started to play poker about 4 years ago. I took 50$ into a live 4/8 game and in 8 months turned it into 24,000$ after jumping up to 15/30 for most of that run. To be honest I simply played tight and ran hot. There was nothing about those winnings that really showed anything other than I was getting lucky.

During this time I also played in a number of tournaments (I absolutely hate outing myself like this but oh well)
#11 here
http://www.canadianpokertour.tv/cpt/...ment.asp?t=145
and
#4 here
http://www.canadianpokertour.tv/cpt/tournament.asp?t=19

Since Dec of last year I have tried to lear NL online and it has exposed numerous flaws in my game. Tilt is one of them.

My goals are simple - to become a proven winning player from the ground up. I am trying to accomplish that starting at 25nl. Either I will earn $1,000 or put in 30K hands before I move up. (assuming I have a positive win rate after 30K hands)

Unfortunately I can't provide samples of strategy posts as most of my posts were posting hands and answer hand posts. Most of my posts in trying to help others occur on other sites.

Finally a little about me. I'm an IT contractor and poker is not my main source of income. I play between 5 and 10K hands a month. I'm expecting my first baby in April and so I hope to accomplish a lot of my poker goals over the next 5 months as I will not have a lot of time thereafter.

Sweat sessions are exactly the kind of mentoring I believe I need. I find I learn better, faster during the moment. I'm definitely not as susectable to tilt

I'm located in Alberta Canada (Mountain Standard Time) so co-ordination between us would best on the weekend.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Wanna play live?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 PM

did you already pick peeps?
Closed Thread