Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

22 years old. Graduated college last May. Law School August 08 and playing poker for a living in between.

Over a 5PTBB/100 hand winrate at 50NL over 135,000 hands

Over 4PTBB/100 hands winrate at 100NL over 35,000 hands

My goal is to get to and be beating 400NL by August 08.....then continue playing and hopefully moving up while I'm in law school.

I'll give more info if you want it. I don't know what you want to know.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Well, I doubt I will get chosen, but here it is.

I am a sophomore in college. After playing golf, cello, etc, all through my life, I feel as if I had nothing that I could do to be considered "good" in anymore. I'm not involved in either golf or cello anymore. When I was younger, I was a very good chess player, but stopped when I was about 10. I have a good GPA with a major in biology, but I have no passion towards school. I feel like I have a lot of potential with a solid math background and being a quick thinker, but I am in need of direction.

After playing poker with friends over the summer, I thought that I should try to play online. With a bit of beginners luck, I went from 50 to 200 before running out. Had similar runs two more times, trying sit and go, before putting in another 50 and deciding that I really need to learn in-depth how to play, this time focusing on micro-limit poker.

What I would like to get out of coaching is better direction. I've spent hours upon hours since deciding to focus on cash games reading the uNL faq. I set a plan for learning SnG, but since switching to cash, and the fact that it seems there is a shortage of books on this subject, I have no idea what I'm going to have to do to reach my full potential.

My plan is here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post12849129

During this 9 month window, while short, I hope I can determine whether or not to continue pursuing poker, regardless of whether I make money or not. If I make a lot of progress, I want to continue, if not, who knows. I also want to give it my best shot, to better judge my skill. The only thing I'm doing now is reading the uNL faq over and over again, for about an hour a day, and playing for another hour or so (would do more, but hard with school). Currently, I'm about a break-even player at uNL, but I've only played for about 2 weeks. I have no idea how coaching would work out, whether or not it would focus on individual concepts or the overall game.

My goal for poker overall is to learn how to play to my best ability, and then some. It's my last shot at "being good" at something (other than school). I have a lot of desire for mastering poker, but as mentioned earlier, I'm in a "confused" stage.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 PM

First, congrats on the good results. If I am chosen I will make sure to put in the effort so that I can improve and give some good feedback.

I currently play NL100 6 max, 3-4 tabling on full tilt, but I've been on a significant downswing (running below ev + playing bad obv). So I've yet to see a profit after 22k hands of NL100 6max. I think I'm down 18 buyins or so.

Otherwise, I've played:

NL100 headsup: 1.8ptbbb over 14000 hands
NL50: 5.8ptbb/100 over 24000 hands
NL25: 2.6 ptbb over 27000 hands
NL10 5.7 over 9000 hands

Started playing mid 2006, I also have a bit of $16 sit n go ICM/pushbotting experience from end of 2006. I moved up to $27, had a big downswing, so I moved to cash games after taking a break.

About me: I'm 23 year old. Have an engineer/analytic/math background and full time job.

My goal is to be able to beat poker and have a complementary income. It would be great if I could be beating mid-stakes by mid 2008. Short term goal is to beat NL100 and move up to NL200.

I've been improving through cardrunners/2+2/reviewing my game/getting more experience, and it's a pretty slow process. I hope having someone look at my play will help me plug some leaks
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM

This is an such an awesome opportunity and I'd love to be considered. Here goes my shot at it...

Was introduced to poker around May this year when I was referred for a Party no deposit bankroll offer, and played a few hands now and again to clear bonus requirements - essentially free money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Entered a $11 tournament out of boredom, got extreme beginner's luck and by some fluke ended up chip leader at the final table. Down to 4 players and it was 5am, I was in dire need of sleep, so agreed to a deal and received $1.1k. Withdrew my winnings except $70, which I lost and felt poker was a game of pure luck and that if I continued I'd end up with a gambling addiction. That was the end of poker for me, or so I thought.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago when I was talking to a friend, who explained there's a much better way to play than limping anything suited, shoving with any two pretty looking cards, and minraising with any ace. That's when I realised there's a lot of skill involved in poker, and decided to play properly; I bought a couple of books, joined 2p2, and lurked around for a couple of months. Then deposited $450 on Stars to play NL10. Once I get to 30x BI for NL25 I'll move up. The number's a bit conservative, but I figured it's best to be properly rolled for the stakes I'm moving to.

I've just started a computer science degree at university and despite having a somewhat flexible timetable, cannot dedicate as much time to poker as I'd like, so I always try to make the most of my sessions.

I play at least an hour every day, more on weekends, and am gradually building up the number of tables and session length. After each session I spend a few hours analysing my play, reading/posting on forums and studying poker books. I like to fix any leaks as I go and get into a good playing habit early on.

Having someone to talk to about my hands and get instant feedback would greatly benefit my play, maximise my learning efficiency and keep me on the right track. Ultimately, my goal would be to plug as many leaks in my game as possible and hopefully become a solid winning player at higher stakes, but for now as I'm just starting out, my foreseeable goals are to improve as player and progress through the stakes.

Grats on your success and to whoever gets chosen; and it would be much appreciated if you/they could occasionally post summaries/vids of a few sessions for the micros community [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM

I have been playing online poker for a while now and have been losing. I read these forums everyday and try improve my play by myself. Its not just the fact that I want to be helped but the fact that I need to be helped. I started with $50 recently on stars and I am up to $150 now. If you could help me by giving me coaching that would be greatly appreciated if not I'll just learn the game the longer way.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 AM

If I can just add one more thing, I hope you choose a long time poster, someone who has contributed to the community but has not been able to progress as a player like they would have hoped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I can just add one more thing, I hope you choose a long time poster, someone who has contributed to the community but has not been able to progress as a player like they would have hoped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This was important to me.

I made a decision, I had to make it much earlier than i hoped because I won't be around for the next couple of days. I apologise to anyone who was planning to post but hasn't yet [but to be fair it is 3am Sunday here].

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who wrote about themselves, I read every reply probably 5+ times, as did many of my friends, I found it really interesting and pretty inspiring. It was hard to choose, but eventually i narrowed it down to 6 who were long term contributors to the forum, whose post i enjoyed and who i felt could really get something out of a bit of coaching. From this, I couldn't make a decision so i picked names out of a hat - Milky was the first name out, so i'd like to offer him the coaching. I've sent my contact details by PM. Mods feel free to lock.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Ok this is lacking some serious bling.

Once you have chosen some guy I think the only right thing to do is post in BBV or somewere and create a challange and see if some other random MSNL player can outcoach you :P

Btw, I think it would be awesome if you could somehow keep track of what you did with your apprentice, maybe record some videos etc so that people can see what a coaching experience is like and to multiply the learning effect.

Maybe you could concider offering some extra free hours if the apprentice is willing to pass on what he learned and gurantee to do the same once he reaches a certain level
Old 11-18-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was important to me.

I made a decision, I had to make it much earlier than i hoped because I won't be around for the next couple of days. I apologise to anyone who was planning to post but hasn't yet [but to be fair it is 3am Sunday here].

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who wrote about themselves, I read every reply probably 5+ times, as did many of my friends, I found it really interesting and pretty inspiring. It was hard to choose, but eventually i narrowed it down to 6 who were long term contributors to the forum, whose post i enjoyed and who i felt could really get something out of a bit of coaching. From this, I couldn't make a decision so i picked names out of a hat - Milky was the first name out, so i'd like to offer him the coaching. I've sent my contact details by PM. Mods feel free to lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final 6 please? Curiosity killed the cat and all. Whatever.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 AM

there were only 6 people who had decent sized post counts, so I guess you were in that 6 (:

Gl milky I'm glad this went to someone who contributes alot to the forum.
Closed Thread