Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 AM

Default My new life - poker free!!

Disclaimer i am hammered so my points my sound bias!!

Before I start my rant I must say that I have been playing cards for about 3 years. over that time i have made a decent amount of money playing 50-100nl and small buyin multis.

Now I am a student and in no way do i need to play poker to make a living, i used to do it for fun and for a little extra cash.

As a mechanical engineer for the past two years I have watch my grades and overall effort towards university steadily decline. Not only that but my motivation towards going out and meeting new people has also dwindled. This anti social behavior has lead to a viscous circle of sitting around and smoking weed. After a particularly card dead night of a lame 1-2 cash i play in, I realized that poker was really holding me back from everything i could and wanted to accomplish in life.

Now I dont want this to sound like a bitching session because its not. I love the game of poker the respect everyone that makes money doing it. However when I took a step back and thought about all my friends that went "pro" (meaning have no other source of income other than poker) I realized that they gave up all there dreams in life to play a card game. here are four examples

1. Pre-med major at BU dropped out first year
2. finance major at NYU dropped out 2nd year
3. electrical engineer at BU dropped out 3rd year
4. final year at MIT for computer science masters dropped out

My situation is a little bit different in that I only have one semester left. However if I do not pass all my classes I will have to come back for another year which would suck ass because I am going to school in Canada and I'm def ready to leave this liberal place. So my goal was to not play cards again until I graduate.

Since I stopped playing it feels as though a gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders. When I have free time now I either goto the gym, play sports, go out drinking, meet new girls or just relax and watch tv. I goto bed a regular hours and actually wake up for class. By not smoking so much weed I feel refreshed in the morning and actually get [censored] done during the day. This is a 150 percent improvement over my life with poker.

I guess my point is this. If you are young do not give up your life's goals to sit around all day and play a card game. I am a very social person by nature and to see myself slowly turn into a hermit over the past two years has been a very sad site. I was a sudo ladies man in high school (got plenty of ass not the best but always something) however last week I found myself talking to a girl I just met and I didn't even know what to talk about other than poker, now thats [censored] sad.

I bet there a plenty of 2+2ers that will mock this post but to all the young players out there. Remember that playing small stakes poker can only win u so much and its not worth neglecting the things that you love.

My neglected love list includes
1. Girls
2. School
3. Sports
4. Friends ( other than poker friends)
5. Random day to day opportunities
6. apartment (dirty as [censored])

Feel free to trash me as you wish but I think my points remain valid.

When it is my time to leave this life I hope that I will be remembered for the people I impacted and the things I accomplished and not beating some tourist out of there money!!!!

There is def. a healthy balance but I never found it.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: My new life - poker free!!

Good post sir.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Good post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By not smoking so much weed I feel refreshed in the morning and actually get [censored] done during the day. This is a 150 percent improvement over my life with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's smoking weed got to do with playing poker?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By not smoking so much weed I feel refreshed in the morning and actually get [censored] done during the day. This is a 150 percent improvement over my life with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's smoking weed got to do with playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you must not smoke that much or at all because to a pot head poker player its tough to sit down at the tables without getting lifted. Herb and poker to me were directly related. I am sure its the same for many others.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Locking this thread because it is a duplicate. Here is the bigger thread that got moved here from OOT.
Closed Thread