Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Re: My new life - poker free!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is just another part of your life. If you can't balance it with everything else, I'm not sure what makes you think you'll be able to balance whatever other 'issues' you may run into in your life in order to achieve your grand 'life dream'. But if blaiming your life failures/inadequacies on poker makes things easier to handle for you, then more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an excellent point but very few activities take up so much time. My problem was not playing poker just all the negatives that come with it. For the record I have yet to fail in anything I have ever put my mind to and quitting cards temp. is to ensure that I grad. on time and continue that trend of success.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 AM

Good post. Definitely sounds like the right decision for you. I think it's possible for most to balance poker and the rest of life, but depending on personality, it might be either extremely difficult or impossible. Best of luck to you in your new life.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:01 AM

Whoa I just realized this is a poker site. Finally all those forums in the sidebar make sense. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 AM

Yeah thanks I was happy to see one person take this not as an attack but just as a commentary on the effect poker has had on my life. It is tough to be "addicted" to something you are good at and makes you money. Being a winning player it never felt right calling it an addiction. But when friends tell you to come out to a party and I say no because of cards it makes me wonder.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa I just realized this is a poker site. Finally all those forums in the sidebar make sense. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AWESOME SATIRE WELL PLAYED
Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 AM

dammit, 1 less fish for me
Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 AM

Great post.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is just another part of your life. If you can't balance it with everything else, I'm not sure what makes you think you'll be able to balance whatever other 'issues' you may run into in your life in order to achieve your grand 'life dream'. But if blaiming your life failures/inadequacies on poker makes things easier to handle for you, then more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an excellent point but very few activities take up so much time. My problem was not playing poker just all the negatives that come with it. For the record I have yet to fail in anything I have ever put my mind to and quitting cards temp. is to ensure that I grad. on time and continue that trend of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is only taking up that time because you're willingly allocating that much time for it. I mean just restrict yourself to 'x' hour(s) per day - never go over that, and you no longer have a problem. This is really about you, and not about poker. Poker can be a life altering activity - like most any other, if you let it. But it can also be nothing more than a fun hobby that you occasionally play for entertainment and a side income.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:20 AM

And one other consideration. If you do quit poker, how do you plan to support yourself in the mean time? You implied you were a solid winner at $200. You're going to be working many times more hours at a 'normal' job/internship to make as much money. You won't be skipping the socializing/etc because of cards, you'll be skipping them because of work - and you're left with the exact same problem, only several times worse.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 AM

not to be harsh but this is the most obv. statement ever.

If I had proper time management this would not be a problem. The problem lies in the side effects of poker. I am an educated person so not only do I play but I also discuss my play, re-evaluate my play, track my play , post and read books. This takes up far more time than the X number of hours you suggested. I am not here to preach, this was just a series of observations I noticed over the past two years.