Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Slingbox

I live in Canada and was curious as to whether I could purchase a slingbox and put it at my parents house in the US so I can get better american cable in Canada. Seems from everything I read that this should work, but was wondering if anyone could give me feedback as to what they think or if they have used a slingbox before and what is the quality of the video? Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Slingbox

I got/am getting it for Christmas. I'm sooooo excited!!! It's gonna be awesome.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Can someone explain to me what exactly you need to use a Slingbox? Do you need a computer set up close to your primary television? What about the television on which you want to view your primary TV programs remotely?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 PM

I recently purchased slingbox (mainly because I took a global position recently and will be in London and Tokyo for a few weeks each quarter) so far it rocks. I live in NJ and was in LV last weekend - through hotel internet connection I was able to stream TV easily to my laptop.

I also can now watch TV on my commute to work each day on my laptop with the wireless cards (and it streams my DVR too which is really nice). Note on the verizon broadband wireless cards - they apparently limit bandwith to 10 GB per month which can go quickly with slingbox - so beware. To date the comparable sprint service is not doing this yet. I'm waiting for verizon to void my agreement and then I would pickup a sprint card.

I saw a demo of slingbox last year and I think its really improved since then. I really hope they add blackberry pearl support, but it does work on Treo's and other palm and/or winCE phone devices.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain to me what exactly you need to use a Slingbox? Do you need a computer set up close to your primary television? What about the television on which you want to view your primary TV programs remotely?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be able to upload 500kbps on your home network - you just need to hook a network cable to your slingbox.

There are 3 types of slingbox - Tuner (does not require a cablebox or other tuner to be hooked up to it) It will not get premimum channels and will not be able to access the dvr if you have this in your cablebox.

Slingbox AV takes the video out from your cablebox and routes it to you. Your TV does NOT have to be on to use it, but if it is - it will be the same output to the TV as the slingbox. You can watch anything from here you can watch through your cablebox including premium channels, DVR and on demand. You have full control of the box with a graphical representation of your remote.

Slingbox pro allows all of above features of the AV but allows up to 4 sources. Also it has support for HD component. Although - I can see the HD output (in standard def) on the AV. Didn't feel the $50 extra was worthwhile for the Pro.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:24 AM

So if you have the pro version and you have roommates they could be watching something else on the actual tv and you could be elsewhere watching a different channel on your computer?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:07 AM

Can somebody tell me what exactly a Slingbox is?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:15 AM

i've got a question about mine, then. I got the slingbox A/V because i have DISH network at home. the TV/box is hooked up to a TV that my brother regularly watches.

if i want to watch something different at school while he is watching whatever at home, will i not be able to do so? am i forced to watch whatever he is watching, because i feel like this could be a huge problem.

also, if this is the case, what is the deal with slingbox's return policy, because i really need to figure this out or i'm gonna want to return it--we don't always want to watch the same thing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2006, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody tell me what exactly a Slingbox is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slingbox