Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: ******** November Omaha Low Content Thread ********

[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:
is there anywhere that I can find a semi-official list of people that are considered to be the best PLO players in the world, both live/online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a list but Farha is respected by all to be the best high stakes shorthanded PLO player in the world. I know that Antonius, Ivey, Hansen, Benyamine (who all happen to play a lot of online) are definitely up there.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:
is there anywhere that I can find a semi-official list of people that are considered to be the best PLO players in the world, both live/online?

[/ QUOTE ]

aba made one in his secret blog.. not sure I feel good about linking you though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] secret blog jokes are funny

[/ QUOTE ]

btw you know how he writes on his blog that it's nice playing with you etc. on here he just says you're a fish and that he enjoys every time you stack off easily lol
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a list but Farha is respected by all to be the best high stakes shorthanded PLO player in the world. I know that Antonius, Ivey, Hansen, Benyamine (who all happen to play a lot of online) are definitely up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

so much about benyamine...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be totally groundless, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the great majority of of "the best omaha players" are going to be the high stakes online regs, esp. in the 25-50 games. In the nosebleeds I think alot of the players got there from a hold'em background and brought their bankrolls, rather then having made their way by playing hundreds of thousands of hands of PLO.

The purely live players, like Farha, may have a great understanding of the tempo of the game and be willing to gamble and make big plays, but the fact that they won't have played a tenth or even a hundredth of the lifetime hands of a serious online player is a huge disadvantage.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:

[/ QUOTE ]

aba made one in his secret blog.. not sure I feel good about linking you though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

btw you know how he writes on his blog that it's nice playing with you etc. on here he just says you're a fish and that he enjoys every time you stack off easily lol

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your insightful contributions. I think they may be missed in SSNL though; why dont you go continue posting there? thanks for playing.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Re. steve:

I had a similar stretch in the midst of otherwise winning play and there's a good chance that a lot of it is just variance. One thing I could suggest is working on your game selection though. There are a lot of nitty games on Stars where even a good player will have a hard time beating the game for more than 3 BB/100 or so with the rake.

I'd spend some time with PTO, figuring out if you play better HU, 3-4 handed, 5-6 handed, or full ring and then look to start playing to your strengths a little bit. I've found that I do much, much better 4-handed or less than I do when the tables fill up. Even if you don't find a large difference there, just stopping to evaluate all your tables every half hour or so and checking to see if there are juicier games somewhere else can help a lot.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be totally groundless, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the great majority of of "the best omaha players" are going to be the high stakes online regs, esp. in the 25-50 games. In the nosebleeds I think alot of the players got there from a hold'em background and brought their bankrolls, rather then having made their way by playing hundreds of thousands of hands of PLO.

The purely live players, like Farha, may have a great understanding of the tempo of the game and be willing to gamble and make big plays, but the fact that they won't have played a tenth or even a hundredth of the lifetime hands of a serious online player is a huge disadvantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. another thing about Farha is that he is known as this Omaha legend, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence for anything but 1) other high stakes players consider Omaha to be his best game, and 2) they consider him very difficult to play short-handed because he is so aggressive. neither of these equate to him being the best, or even one of the best. and frankly, from what I've seen of his play on HSP or elsewhere, I think he exhibits a fundamental lack of poker reasoning, and I would expect him to get torn up by smart adaptable players who weren't spooked by the stakes he would demand they play.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the comments, iggy.

I'm usually pretty picky about what tables I sit at, but I definitely need to do a better job at keeping track of the tables I'm at and making sure they're still worth playing. While I do check the lobby to make sure, I probably don't do it often enough.

I hadn't thought about looking into my performance relative to the number of players, but I just did. Unfortunately, it's hard to gauge, since I'm still not quite comfortable playing really short-handed (which is strange since it's what I prefer at LHE) and consequently, I've only played about 8500 hands 4-handed or less. Due to the sample size, I don't want to draw too many conclusions just yet, but it looks like I should at least put in some more time at 3-4 handed to see if my results continue.

At first, I really hated the fact that I made the initial post. I really try and avoid posting about how I'm doing; I try and not let the results affect me before, during or after a session. But, I'm glad I posted it, since I might have picked up on something I didn't realize prior due to the responses.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
random question, but:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your insightful contributions. I think they may be missed in SSNL though; why dont you go continue posting there? thanks for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow take a chill pill. after that try reading the thread title.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 AM

Pretty bad beat for omaha...

GAME #736459232: Omaha PL $10.00/$20.00 2007-11-26 11:40:24
Table Astoria
Seat 3: MrSick1 ($2,000.00 in chips)
Seat 5: riskyh ($3,006.00 in chips)
Seat 8: fanboi ($1,940.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 10: bbbooo ($2,766.00 in chips)
bbbooo: Post SB $10.00
MrSick1: Post BB $20.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to fanboi [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Dealt to MrSick1 [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Dealt to riskyh [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
riskyh: Call $20.00
fanboi: Raise $90.00
bbbooo: Call $80.00
MrSick1: Raise $360.00
riskyh: Call $360.00
fanboi: Raise $1,520.00
bbbooo: Fold
MrSick1: Call $1,230.00
riskyh: Call $1,230.00
*** FLOP *** [7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
MrSick1: Allin $390.00
riskyh: Allin $1,396.00
fanboi: Allin $330.00
*** TURN *** [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
*** RIVER *** [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $7,034.00 Rake $2.00
riskyh: wins $7,034.00