Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Software products that you think are really good

[ QUOTE ]
i prefer winamp to foobar2k though. i like winamp's dead-simple operation and ability to right-click a folder and queue up all of its contents.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think my love of foobar comes from the fact that all of my mp3s are there and sorted, i just scroll to where i want and start playing.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Strong preference for GAIM over Trillian.

2nd ED on Excel. So many people at work and in their personal life get silly products they don't need instead of just using Excel, which is super versitle.

I'm a fan of rocketlaunch, which is a util that basically lets me run the os10 toolbar on my pc, just a faster, better looking way of launching aps.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Josem,

I don't use a personalized homepage, but a lot of people I know love this one: http://www.netvibes.com/
Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM

dids, have you checked out launchy?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 PM

"On the Job" is a beautifully simple time tracking and invoicing program for Mac. Unfortunately, I don't have any business. So if you want some PowerPoints made, call me up so I can use this damn software.

I know none of you use Macs, so the rest are web-based:

Netvibes for custom start pages... Much better RSS integration than Google homepage and it's just prettier overall.

Wordpress.com for free hosted blogging. I like the interface more than Blogger, plus the search engine results are RIDICULOUS.

Slideshare.net is kind of a YouTube for PowerPoints and other slideshows. I'm not sure if I'd say it's "really good," but it's the best of its kind.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i still use aim 5.9 with deadaim and prefer it to gaim or trillian. i think i need to give gaim another look though.

i use fire for instant messaging/irc'ing on my mac and i wish they had fire for pc.

3rd the excel, excel rulz!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dids, have you checked out launchy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't. That said, the way I use my computers is more mouse heavy than typing, so your initial description turned me off a bit. I used to be MUCH more keyboard heavy back when we ran a dos based db at work, but since we lost that in 2001, I'm a mouse slave now.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 PM

One other google service is use all the time are the advanced search functions such as the calculator function (Just do a google search with your equation (Ex. 16x3+(4+5) ), the converter function (Ex. 16 pounds in kilograms), and the english dictionary which returns definitions from multiple sources (ex. Define: Marsupial).

Anyone else have some handy google services they use that are offered through their websearch?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 PM

i keep my browser window at fullscreen. if i wanted to open up my ruby pickaxe book pdf, i would have to grab the mouse, click the start menu, go to my documents, go to tech, and double-click the pdf. using launchy i can hit alt-spacebar, type 'pick', and hit enter. it's WAY more efficient.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 PM

If you've ever wanted to know what type of motherboard you have or other hardware info without having to open up your machine, siw scans your machine and provides a comprehensive list of all hardware and software components. It's very useful if you've formatted your computer and need to find a driver for some hardware component but the list of hardware devices through windows my computer properties doesn't bring it up.

I'm also a big fan of google's online calendar and spreadsheet software for collaborating with remote groups of people.