Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

Pretty sure it's Mike Milbury -

Milbury traded Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden - Linden was decent, McCabe and Bertuzzi went on to be All-Star level players.

Traded Bryan Berard at 22 for Felix Potvin, an average goalie - Berard was on his way to become a solid offensive dman when he suffered a career altering fluke eye injury. Potvin was basically dumped a year or two later.

Traded Roberto Luongo AND Olli Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish - Parrish is a league average forward, Kvasha's out of the league, Jokinen and Luongo are near HOF level players

After that trade, drafted Rick Dipietro over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik

Traded the 2nd overall pick (Jason Spezza) AND Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin, then signed Yashin to a 10 year deal which was just bought out after 6 years - Spezza is now a superstar and Chara a top 10 defender in the league, Yashin now plays in Russia.

it's not even close. I can see Millen, or McHale (dunno much about what McHale did), or Milbury - but it's NOT isiah thomas.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 AM

LOL @ the Cashman mention.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 AM

Hey, don't hate on Potvin. But I had totally forgotten how useless Milbury was. The Luongo and Yashin stuff are so LOL it's unbelievable. I really don't think anyone's as close to Milbury in this department.

Edit: Also, WTF? He selected Chris Nilan (who managed to get 42 penalty minutes in one game) to be an all-star in 1991 over Kirk Muller. Crazy.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Milbury traded Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden - Linden was decent, McCabe and Bertuzzi went on to be All-Star level players.

Traded Bryan Berard at 22 for Felix Potvin, an average goalie - Berard was on his way to become a solid offensive dman when he suffered a career altering fluke eye injury. Potvin was basically dumped a year or two later.

Traded Roberto Luongo AND Olli Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish - Parrish is a league average forward, Kvasha's out of the league, Jokinen and Luongo are near HOF level players

Traded the 2nd overall pick (Jason Spezza) AND Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin, then signed Yashin to a 10 year deal which was just bought out after 6 years - Spezza is now a superstar and Chara a top 10 defender in the league, Yashin now plays in Russia.

it's not even close. I can see Millen, or McHale (dunno much about what McHale did), or Milbury - but it's NOT isiah thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg this makes me love Ken Holland so much! Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the late rounds
Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a strong case. Drafting DiPietro (who is a great goalie), when he already had Luongo (an even greater goalie) is one of those things I still don't understand.

He can have Bryan McCabe back though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 02:31 AM

A Niners fan nominates Joe Thomas.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:35 AM

I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 AM

ED WADE easily, god he was terrible with the phillies and he is terrible with the astros now.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ED WADE easily, god he was terrible with the phillies and he is terrible with the astros now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, while I'm inclined to agree with you, it's too small of a sample size and not enough damage done.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to Isiah - he has drafted well, and he came into an awful situation. He just made that situation ten times more awful.

edit - i'm not a knicks fan really.