Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Recent Amarillo Slim news?

michael jackson settled out of court for 15 million on molestation charges and everyone thinks he's a chucky.

so why should slim not be in the same boat?

slim maybe a nice guy but thats the hustler's code. never ever trust a hustler. if slim was such a nice, then why would he be in the troubling incidents that he's been in?

allegations and constantly being robbed and what not.

sorry, but the guy is probably a piece of [censored]. the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Slim is really old. He prolly just didnt want to mess with it anymore. he's 80 and rich. He could have been so sad that his family would pull something like this on him for money that he just pled guilty paid the money and got on with his life that he has left.

Just cuz you plead guilty doesnt mean anything.

He might be tired of the poker limelight. he might want a quiet end to his life.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 PM

A lot of the comments in this thread seem to be made by young nerds with no common sense, street smarts, or understanding of the world.

I am sure Slim had been robbed in his younger days as a gambler. However, in the situation he was in, he probably felt safer getting out of there then giving the guy money. "You got to know when to walk away, know when to run."

As for the child molestation, he is probably guilty because that kind of thing goes on a lot more than is prosecuted. Even if family members had ulterior motives for pursuing charges, it doesn't mean he didn't do it. Also, my understanding is he has a bad reputation as an angle shooter and so on.

As for his pleading guilty to a lesser charge meaning he is guilty, this is not always true. A lot of people would plead guilty getting probation rather than risking jail time as a child molestor. A very small percentage of criminal cases go to trial. This is also true of civil cases, which are usually settled.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact slim pleaded guilty means
A) He doesn't care if he is a suspected child molester
B) He is a child molester.

[/ QUOTE ]
C) He is completely innocent, but doesn't want to risk going to jail since he would be killed or abused there if the prisoners EVER FOUND OUT what he is in for.

MANY MANY people have been convicted wrongly for the child molestation in the US. its like a witchunt. Just mention the word, and everyone gets all stupid and emotional about it.
Watch a few episodes of American Justice -- there are many cases of people been wrongly convicted.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't find it that hard to believe that a free living man known for doing crazy stuff like Slim would plead guilty just to get it over with. I don't think he cares what anyone thinks or cares about his reputation, specially at his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure he VERY much cared. the story broke the same time his autobiography came out. i was in Amarillo, TX the week his book came out and at the local big bookstore there was a huge display of his books. it seemed like there was an invisible bubble around the area as no one would even go near the books.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM

I saw Amarillo Slim a few days ago at Commerce!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's your vendetta w/ slim?
i dont know one way or the other what happened w/ him and his grandkids, but i will say that money is the ultimate motivation to do things like that. who knows if its true or not?

Slim could probably not care less about missing out on the poker boom, kid. He's well off- substanitally so. He doesn't need the lime light anymore, and he doesn't pull a stunt like this, either.
Honestly, I think you dont have much character.

[/ QUOTE ]

In August 2003 Preston was indicted on three charges of indecency with a 12-year-old child (his granddaughter). The charges were reduced to misdemeanor assault in a plea bargain and on February 10, 2004 he pled guilty to the reduced charges, receiving a $4,000 fine and two years deferred adjudication.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot, and by a lot I mean most that can afford it would plead guilty to a lesser crime if they received a similar punishment. Do you realize how traumatic a trial like this would be for him/everyone else involved?

Some people just want to get on with there lives, and there are plenty of overzealous prosecutors out there who will try to push a case like this with no evidence just for the publicity and political gain.

I donno wtf happened in this instance, but if there was any real possibility of the man being convicted of child molestation he would not have been offered a plea deal this light.

Until someone provides more details in the case why should I accept that a man that plead guilty to assault is a child molester?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact slim pleaded guilty means
A) He doesn't care if he is a suspected child molester
B) He is a child molester.

[/ QUOTE ]
C) He is completely innocent, but doesn't want to risk going to jail since he would be killed or abused there if the prisoners EVER FOUND OUT what he is in for.

MANY MANY people have been convicted wrongly for the child molestation in the US. its like a witchunt. Just mention the word, and everyone gets all stupid and emotional about it.
Watch a few episodes of American Justice -- there are many cases of people been wrongly convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I mean some people are raelly naive here. You can say I am innocent and the truth will win, I have all the faith in the justice system blah blah blah...

But in such case where there will be never a strong evidence either way, its a coinflip. And you dont want to risk your life on a flip just for some dumb principles.

I mean he can plead guilty and try to convince everyone that it wasnt the case, while being free.
Alternatively he can go to jail and try to convince his co-prisoners he isnt a molester.

Which one would you choose??
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's your vendetta w/ slim?
i dont know one way or the other what happened w/ him and his grandkids, but i will say that money is the ultimate motivation to do things like that. who knows if its true or not?

Slim could probably not care less about missing out on the poker boom, kid. He's well off- substanitally so. He doesn't need the lime light anymore, and he doesn't pull a stunt like this, either.
Honestly, I think you dont have much character.

[/ QUOTE ]

In August 2003 Preston was indicted on three charges of indecency with a 12-year-old child (his granddaughter). The charges were reduced to misdemeanor assault in a plea bargain and on February 10, 2004 he pled guilty to the reduced charges, receiving a $4,000 fine and two years deferred adjudication.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot, and by a lot I mean most that can afford it would plead guilty to a lesser crime if they received a similar punishment. Do you realize how traumatic a trial like this would be for him/everyone else involved?

Some people just want to get on with there lives, and there are plenty of overzealous prosecutors out there who will try to push a case like this with no evidence just for the publicity and political gain.

I donno wtf happened in this instance, but if there was any real possibility of the man being convicted of child molestation he would not have been offered a plea deal this light.

Until someone provides more details in the case why should I accept that a man that plead guilty to assault is a child molester?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

In addition consider that the jurisdiction was probably a Baptist part of Texas that is very hostile to gamblers, and that there are all kinds of possible inheritance or family feud issues that could motivate false or exaggerated testimony.

The fact that they pled the charges down to a misdemeanor looks a lot like the prosecutor tried to save face on a case that he couldn't win, perhaps because the accusation was not credible.

Also FWIW the only story I have heard about the content of the allegation was that he gave girl a pervy hug in the presence of others. No nudity, no penetration... don't forgot how broad a category sexual misconduct is.

Also FWIW I would guess he is a scumbag based on all kinds of anecdotes prior to this... I just doubt he's a child molestor.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean some people are raelly naive here. You can say I am innocent and the truth will win, I have all the faith in the justice system blah blah blah...

But in such case where there will be never a strong evidence either way, its a coinflip. And you dont want to risk your life on a flip just for some dumb principles.

I mean he can plead guilty and try to convince everyone that it wasnt the case, while being free.
Alternatively he can go to jail and try to convince his co-prisoners he isnt a molester.

Which one would you choose??

[/ QUOTE ]

yes people are naive. where do you get that the evidence wasn't strong? i know it was strong enough to bring an indictment and strong enough that slim didnt want to go to trial.

[ QUOTE ]
it's a coinflip

[/ QUOTE ]

right, you either make a flush or you dont.

which would i choose? if i were innocent i would fight the charges and would rather go to prison knowing i did everything in my power so people wouldnt think i sexually abused my granddaughter. that to me is worse than prison but he willingly accepted probation and the stigma associated with the conviction. i wonder why.