Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Ohio State @ Michigan Thread (11/17/07)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Miles might not be a savior, but he can't possibly coach worse than Carr on gameday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think there are a whole lot of Michigan fans who think Miles is the savior. But I think most everyone agrees it's time for Lloyd to go.

I don't understand the "lolz oh boy, you're losing legendary coach Lloyd Carr and bringing in Miles, now you guys are doomed!!11!!!! lolz!!" Buckeye fan narrative. I mean, c'mom, despite what TomCollins says, there's no one who can claim with a straight face that Lloyd --> Miles is a serious downgrade.

And again, as I've said in other threads, I think Michigan fans are excited for Miles because it's hard to get excited about any of the other oft-named candidates. If your choices are Mike DeBord, Kirk Ferentz, or Les Miles, then frankly, Les Miles starts to look pretty good in comparison.

It's Michigan. We're going to do something incestuous. We're probably not going to drive a Saban-sized pile of money to Bob Stoops's or Steve Spurrier's or Bill Cowher's doorstep and come beg them to coach for us. Chances are good that we're going to bring in someone who coached or played under Bo/Lloyd (in other words, DeBord/Miles/Tragovac/English), or someone who the administrators know and like and have hired before (Ferentz). I wish the Michigan AD was different, but chances are pretty good the list of potential coaches are limited to someone In The Family. That's not a very big list, and alot of the names on it are already proven failures (DeBord, who ran Central Michigan into the ground as HC) or have absolutely no track record (Tragovac/English). I fully concede that Miles may be a total moron, but unless Michigan does something completely unexpected, he's our best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. And I don't QFT often. Stole my thoughts exactly.

ANY chance we keep English as our DC?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 PM

i pretty much agree with the mich fans in this thread, minus the "f osu" stuff.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 PM

I don't get the whole "Miles is a total idiot" narrative. His in game decisions are occasionally batshit crazy. But he has an aggressiveness that UM might need. He is not, imo, a very good game manager, but he is lightyears beyond some idiots.

Remember 2005? A rather large hurricane hit south LA. I remember it well -- I attended LSU at the time. The whole area was disrupted. May on the team were personally affected. JaMarcus Russell famously had his family staying in his apartment in Baton Rouge. We went 11-2 that year, finishing off by beating the stuffing out of Miami.

In game, Miles is overaggressive, often suboptimal. But there is more to being a good coach than game management. Miles knows how to put a team together, and is a hell of a good recruiter. UM could do much worse. So could LSU. I will not be thrilled to see him go. But if he does, I will wish him all the best at UM. He has kept up a level of excellence at LSU, and I will always appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:38 PM

I don't think any of the Buckeyes here thinks that Carr is anything more than a mediocre coach. He's not good, but he's not godawful. However, I don't think any of you understand how bad Miles is.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be careful what you ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

YA RLY

I'M GOING TO MISS THESE WONDERFUL LLOYD MOMENTS

zomg one of my favorites

holy s&*! remember the day we put up 90 yards of offense against Ohio St. Me too, banner day for Lloyd

Or remember the time Michigan fans had to go scrape up Morgan Trent and Stevie Brown and Johnny Sears torched corpses after Dennis Dixon threw touchdown after touchdown against our 3 deep coverage back in September? That was pretty remarkable, given that monumental effort given to pick up their ashes after USC burnt them up in Pasadena a couple of months earlier using pretty much the same playbook that we still haven't figured out how to stop (as the spread offense doesn't exist in Lloyd's 1957 copy of Bud Wilkenson's "How To Play Defense in Intercollegiate Tackle Football", we haven't figured out quite what all those receivers are for or why we should bother covering them).

I'm going to miss Lloyd "knute rockne" Carr too. Little did I know OSU fans thought so highly of Lloyd's coaching talent. Clearly today's 90 yard performance made them rethink their previous disrespect and realize what a magician that guy was.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I don't think any of you understand how bad Miles is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the LSU program has totally fallen apart since Saban left... oh wait.

EDIT: Though to be fair, he did really fcku up OK State... oh wait.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With as much talent as LSU has, you could have a donkey as a coach and get the same results. Ok State- lol, a real success story. He takes a team from awful to mediocre. Congrats. I can remember lots of games where they managed to blow like 21 point leads in the 4th quarter. To be honest, Miles probably has a better chance at beating Ohio State as Carr has done lately, but expect more losses to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With as much talent as LSU has, you could have a donkey as a coach and get the same results. Ok State- lol, a real success story. He takes a team from awful to mediocre. Congrats. I can remember lots of games where they managed to blow like 21 point leads in the 4th quarter. To be honest, Miles probably has a better chance at beating Ohio State as Carr has done lately, but expect more losses to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan.

[/ QUOTE ]
2005. Two hurricanes hit LA. The teams is completely disrupted.

How did we do that year?

He took OK State from really bad to pretty good.

He is not winning because of Saban's recruits. He is winning because of Miles' recruits.

As I have stated, he is not a good game manager. But there are WAY worse out there.

He can recruit.

Bottom line TC: Do bad coaches harm good programs, and fail to improve bad ones? This is a simple yes or no question.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Henne's career looks to be a massive disappointment. It is not good that the last two quarterbacks for Michigan essentially never improved after promising first seasons.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM

He took Okie State from crap to 3rd, 3rd, and 5th in the Big 12 South. That's pretty good? I guess if Michigan fans are content with being in the top half of the Big 10 (most times), so be it.

He can definitely recruit well. So can Carr. I don't think any Michigan fans would argue with that. He is a choker and an underachiever. He is a fool as well. He is lucky he is running well with his idiotic decisions. Think of him as someone with a huge chip stack who gets all in with a weaker hand over and over. If he runs well, he's going to win anyway. I agree he's not the worst out there. But the same is true of Carr. He's probably better than 75% of coaches out there. I just don't think Michigan fans are content with that. I wasn't with Cooper.