Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: American Gangster leaked online one week before release

im not sure if this has been mentioned but I did some reading up on this Frank Lucas guy and the story he tells seems to be embellished quite a bit. He was def not "above the mob", didn't kill someone in the street in front of people, and may have been one of many drug dealers in the area, none of which were any more important than one another.

Seems like Denzel may become known for acting the parts of liars in "true stories". If anyone has looked into Rueben Carter (The Hurricane) will know, he more than likely killed the people he was imprisoned for.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
 is offline

Haven't seen it and probably won't.

9 out of 10 Ridley Scott movies are pretty bad I think.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 AM

I forgot to add that got busted, ratted out 100 people, got off, then got busted again, thats why he went to jail. This was portrayed inaccurately in the movie
Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
got off, then got busted again, thats why he went to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is amusing as well as he got off even lighter than was portrayed in the movie but then went on to [censored] it up again.

However it is true that he was above the mob but only in drug trafficking. He was bringing his drugs in at 4 thousand a unit versus the 35-50,000+ his top competitors were paying . Plus he was distributing the drugs himself as opposed to acting as a middle man which made his profits huge.

He wasn't mob-like though in the fact he had his hands into everything. He dealt drugs only however at a huge profit.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
got off, then got busted again, thats why he went to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is amusing as well as he got off even lighter than was portrayed in the movie but then went on to [censored] it up again.

However it is true that he was above the mob but only in drug trafficking. He was bringing his drugs in at 4 thousand a unit versus the 35-50,000+ his top competitors were paying . Plus he was distributing the drugs himself as opposed to acting as a middle man which made his profits huge.

He wasn't mob-like though in the fact he had his hands into everything. He dealt drugs only however at a huge profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not convinced he wasn't still kicking up to the mob. From what Ive read the mafia let the blacks have areas in Harlem but they were still paying a fee for that opportunity.

Ive also read that he wasn't the one that started the straight from Asia market. I forget the guy's name now but apparently it was another black drug dealer in the area that he ended up working with.

None of the stuff is too well documented furthering my belief that this guy wasn't as big as he portrayed himself to be. Most of what I have found was written by people from the neighborhood and Bumpy's wife. They could be lying I guess.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not sure if this has been mentioned but I did some reading up on this Frank Lucas guy and the story he tells seems to be embellished quite a bit. He was def not "above the mob", didn't kill someone in the street in front of people, and may have been one of many drug dealers in the area, none of which were any more important than one another.

Seems like Denzel may become known for acting the parts of liars in "true stories". If anyone has looked into Rueben Carter (The Hurricane) will know, he more than likely killed the people he was imprisoned for.

[/ QUOTE ]

and made a millian dollars a day. that was common back then tho. right?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 AM

This movie blows big time. It's so boring I can't elaborate enough. Bad acting too. Don't go see this one.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 AM

bleh, just got back, at 2/3rd's through i was done, we managed to sit through the rest anyway. It would have been a bit more tolerable if it was shorter. dragged on.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 AM

excellent
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky