Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Calling raises with suited connectors...theory question

Always reraising with SC's is giving up alot of money. Certain villains just can't play well OOP at all, and SCs are a great way to exploit them. Particularly those that:

1. Will cbet most any flop, and give up on the turn if they don't have it.

2. Will cbet most any flop and then cbet about 60% of turns as well.

Betting the turn against the first and raising against the second is such easy money, and with an expectation way more than their 4BB preflop. This is all in lieu of SC's ability to also make real hands and get paid off.

I'd much rather take the 3-bet/fold attitude if you are OOP, when it becomes much much more difficult to play them well postflop - and alot of their value is just in widening your range.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 AM

Worm

Your reply is a real eye opener. Thank yo and i will look up the BoostedJ article.....but where....here at 2+2??

ty again and good luck out there
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boosted J did an article for bluff I believe, about his theory of JBucks, and the value that SC's add to your game by raising them from all positions....don't have the link, but look it up and print it out and then spend a couple of days digesting it, it will really open your eyes to some things that can make a huge difference in your game at higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was Jman, not Boosted J and they were called G-bucks.

I rarely coldcall raises with suited connectors unless there is another caller. I don't think they hit often enough for it to be worthwhile against one opp. I reraise some of the time too.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Thank you all. Some awesome replies here , and links to other posters on the topic. I think i'm going to move down stakes for a while and try this idea out and see what effect it has on "things as they are".

Good luck out there all of you
Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I rarely coldcall raises with suited connectors unless there is another caller. I don't think they hit often enough for it to be worthwhile against one opp.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my line too. But obviously you have to look at other factors too:
*If there are other players left that are capable of squeezing it is not a great move to call.
* How does my opponent play postflop? Will he fire multiple barrels? Will he pay me off if i hit?

But my standard move is to fold suited connectors if there is a raise before me and no call, evaluate to call or not if there is a raise and call, and call if more than one caller.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM

the fact is most of the time even when u do flop a pair it is going to be middle or bottom... u need high implied odds to be just calling with these hands which means deep stacks and lots of players in the pot. if you do get lucky however and you are up against an overpair or better these type of hands are really well disguised and can make u a lot of money. the problem is.. weaker players play them to often imo. they will play almost every suiter connector they get in any postion and this can only be -ev over time.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 AM

callings fine
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i rarely cold call a raise with SCs in pos. rr or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

orange...why?

[/ QUOTE ]

because it makes it easier for opponents to narrow his range down. i rarely cold call with sc's for this same reason. a decent player will know what you're cold calling with. the same applies to small pairs to some extent. although i feel you can get away with cold calling more at $100nl than $200nl+.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i rarely cold call a raise with SCs in pos. rr or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

orange...why?

[/ QUOTE ]

because it makes it easier for opponents to narrow his range down. i rarely cold call with sc's for this same reason. a decent player will know what you're cold calling with. the same applies to small pairs to some extent. although i feel you can get away with cold calling more at $100nl than $200nl+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that this isn't correct. People who cold call do it with broadway cards, pairs, SC, etc.

The reason to RR with SCs is to isolate your opponent in position. A large part of your profit is going to be from taking the pot down when you whiff or are semi-bluffing. You can't do this if you call and the blinds call as well, or if you allow your opponent to have the initiative going to the flop. You're also going to want a free card sometimes, which you can get if they are checking to the raiser.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM

my head is gonna explode reading that post.