Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 AM

Default 2/4 Arrggghhh RIVERS .... bet or no ?????

OK I am strugling with river play in general and here, every instinct in my body screams, when I reach river ... just not used to people hanging around without big hands

How take this hand, BB has been laying low mostly but seems on the passive side, while MP seems solid, tho the just capped river with AJo on a Kxx J x board with a threeflush and passive flop action, where I happened to have a flush

The turn utterly confused me and I was at a loss on river .. bet or not ????? (btw, I expected MP to bet flop and was contemplating a c/r, good or no ?)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, BB calls.

River: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ?????
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Arrggghhh RIVERS .... bet or no ?????

yeh bet for value it's cool.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 AM

flop c/r is a good plan. remember that MP has a reasonably tight range here, usually QK AJo+ ATs+ 77+.

MP checking behind the flop is a bit unusual. it is very likely that he missed the flop and understands that this board is likely to hit many hands in your and BBs ranges. I think that his most likely hand based on preflop+flop action is QK. the turn makes me pretty sure that's what he has.

I think that the turn raise is good; you are ahead a lot and you want to protect your hand from MP. bet the river for value.

just imagine how my river play was going from limit to no limit. god I was a pay station for my first few thousand hands, good thing the NL100 games are so soft.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

just imagine how my river play was going from limit to no limit. god I was a pay station for my first few thousand hands, good thing the NL100 games are so soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah .. I can imagine ... I can also imagine 90% of the fairly nitty NL crowd getting crushed at limit fishmax ... Tight is right rings more and more hollow in my ears. (Tho I am a noob and could be in for a surprise)

Well I checked and BB had pocket eights and MP had an amazing 76o, so I missread him bigtime it seems.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:10 AM

MP's screenname please xD
Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 AM

well I guess my read was a little off [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MPs turn play is beyond horrible, time for a buddylisting
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM

I think I check. No one with a better hand is folding here but there are a bunch of worse hands that call. However, I don't like getting c/r'd by BB with a T here as we're usually beat when he does that but we have to call. Also, if MP only has a draw he may bet now and you can get a bet out of him that you wouldn't have. Maybe I'm a wimp though. And yeah, I think your line on the flop was good. Anyway, the only reason I posted was because it had my name in the title.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 AM

Def. bet here. Who/what are you scared of exactly? I think the turn is close to a call since you have MP reverse dominated a lot, but I guess it depends on how passive BB is.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:36 PM

The ten on the river actually makes it MORE likely you have the best hand. Easy bet. Also: A9o is a muck for me UTG. I raise ATo and A9s and very likely A8s but I def muck A9o.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:49 PM

BB called two cold pf but after the flop gets cheked he may bet any pocket and some draws as a semibluff (or bluff something). But if your read is correct he may not semibluff or bluff here and have either a pocket, a nine or a Ten.
As MP cheks the flop and calls two cold on the turn it looks completley retarded so I dont know what to put him on.
If bb is passive he may just go for a bet on the river if he make the obvious trips or even go for a c/c rather than c/r. So I guess the odds favor betting, even though I cant put MP on a hand.