Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Life After Death

Why is this such a focus of most organized religions? I think the focus on eternal life undermines any rational arguments theists try to make for god's existence.

There is really nothing in the main arguments I've read for the existence of god, that argues how or why a human being will somehow live forever if he believes in him. (Other than that a being who could create a universe could have the power to grant eternal life if it wanted, I suppose.)

This fact alone makes me more suspicious of theists. If eternal life wasn't part of their teachings, I'd be more likely to take their arguments more seriously. Doesn't it seem a little convenient, that along with creating the universe, all these different gods also promise victory - over the one thing that scares humans the most?

The whole thing is such obvious wish-fulfillment, and I can't see how theists can honestly try to make arguments for the existence of god, and then throw in, "oh by the way he also says I'll never have to die" at the end.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Life After Death

You're not including the belief in an everlasting soul.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 PM

If you believe in 'life after death' then you don't understand what death means.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

"The whole thing is such obvious wish-fulfillment"

What's wrong with that? If people are happy, even if they are delusional, why would you want to make them depressed, especially since your position is uncertain?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this, and also limiting the definition of "god"
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 PM

My sense is that it is not so much about wish-fulfillment, as it is about having an easy way to tell you why certain things which have no negative consequences in this life can still be "bad things," instead of leaving you free to do anything non-harmful that you want.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't "everlasting soul" just another way of saying you'll live forever? It still promises victory over the finality of death.

And what is the basis of this belief in everlasting life, whether it be bodily or just the soul? There is absolutely no reason to think humans can somehow conquer death, any more than there is reason to believe that the dead raccoon on the side of the road is enjoying eternal life in raccoon heaven right now.

Promising people eternal life just seems like the ultimate carrot on the stick. It seems almost too slick, as if simply saying "worship god because he created the universe and gave you life on earth" wouldn't be enough to get anyone to join.

How crowded would churches, mosques, and temples be if all the religions worshiped the same god they do now - except your only life is the 75 years or so you get on earth? After that, you're worm food. No heaven, no soul, no consciousness, no anything. They'd be almost empty, is my guess.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with that? If people are happy, even if they are delusional, why would you want to make them depressed, especially since your position is uncertain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point. My mother is very religious and I'd never find pleasure in convincing her that she'll only find nothingness when she dies.

But I can still debate the promise of eternal life in general terms, because it is such a central, yet baseless, teaching of most major religions.

Any delusion might make some people feel good. That doesn't mean they should never be questioned. I'd be curious to hear from theists as to WHY they think they (or their souls) will have eternal life.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Imagining eternal life makes the world full of possibility.

Check out what this guy is saying about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCi61yZVWJI
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Why would anybody want to be alive if they are dead? Wouldn't that be worse than being totally paralyzed?