Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Joey Crawford versus Tim Duncan

Ok, I don't claim to follow the NBA much, but this situation just amused me. I wish I could see the whole game because with sportscenter and other sports broadcasts, the whole picture is never shown.

For those that don't know, Tim Duncan received two technical fouls while on the bench. The first one was as a foul shot was being taken, Crawford T'ed him up. Then less than two minutes later, Duncan laughed about a 'touch' foul that was called. Duncan was T'ed up again by Crawford. Automatic ejection.

Then there comes the comments from both sides.

Duncan: “He looked at me and said, ‘Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight? If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don’t have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, ‘Do you want to fight?”

Crawford: “And then he went over to the bench and he was over there doing the same stuff behind our back, I hit him with one (technical) and he kept going over there, and I look over there and he’s still complaining. So I threw him out.”

"That’s his opinion. He said nothing when he was walking off the court and he called me a piece of (expletive). Is that nothing?”

Ok, I would call Crawford a piece of *^&% too as I walked off the court. As said, there must be some kind of history that isn't being shown. Without the all the information (based on what has been shown), I don't think there is anyway Crawford should be involved in the playoffs.

I have Duncan in a fight unless Crawford can get him on the ground. Then it may at least be slightly amusing.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Joey Crawford versus Tim Duncan

My hate for Joey Crawford is roughly as intense as my hate for Tim Duncan.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 AM

JoA is correct. I have stated a thousand times my hatred for Tim Duncan and Joey Crawford is just as big a douche.

With that said this is what happened in the game:

For an entire quarter Duncan was doing his wrinkled forehead and palms upward routine to Crawford. On two occasions he ran over to him pleading his case, yelling at him as they were walking toward the huddles during timeouts and you could see Crawford just pointing toward the huddle.

This went on for awhile. Duncan gets a foul, which the replay showed it was and Duncan gets pissed and does his entire routine again and this time you can see Crawford turning red like he is going to T him up right there but he doesn't b/c Pop goes over to him to talk to Crawford.

Now from the bench you can see Duncan running his mouth at Crawford every time the possession gets back down to their side of the court. Then there is a foul and Duncan starts popping off from the bench and he gets T'ed up. Most would take this technical and shut the F up. Most refs would now realize things are getting out of control and not ruin the game too, maybe talk to Pop and tell him to talk to his players or something...I dunno what the best way is but that seems like it could handle the situation and keep the best player in the game at the same time.

Another foul happens that Duncan doesn't like and he wasn't JUST laughing b/c you could see his whole mannerisms and the way he was acting, he was saying stuff too...obviously you just don't know what. He gets another T. This is where I was bummed b/c I am at a see-saw 3 point game that has had 8 lead changes at this point...win or lose I wanted Duncan there (the game doesn't matter--playoffs throw his ass out!!!).

As he walked out my gf thought he flipped Crawford off, I said I didn't think he did but he gestured something at him. I find out later it was that he was talking to him and what his comments were.

It is basically two babies clashing. Duncan may be one of the greatest forwards of all time but he hasn't any grace whatsoever and this is why I can't find an ounce of respect for him. Crawford ruins games with his ego and his little man's syndrome.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM

I haven't seen a game where Joey Crawford was involved where he DIDN'T get carried away with himself. He's just one of those guys. Just because he's been doing it for 30-something years doesn't mean he's been doing it well. He's a turd.

What Duncan did was close to the line but holy [censored] Joey just look the other way and forget about it.

It looked like Duncan tried to get Joey's attention and say "[censored] you, you're a piece of [censored]" after he got ejected. That was my take on it, do they have some history together?

Oh hey, I didn't realize Joey was one of the NBA refs who lied on their taxes ...adding to his douchebaggery - this is one of the NBA's best?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Crawford

"In 1998, Joe was one of 10 NBA referees charged with filing false income tax returns. An Internal Revenue Service investigation was the result of cash being pocketed by referees when airline tickets provided by the league were downgraded. At the conclusion of a four year investigation, Crawford pleaded guilty on July 1, 1998 for falsely stating income of $82,500 from 1991 to 1993 and resigned from the NBA effective immediately. He would be reinstated by NBA commissioner David Stern in 1999 and did not miss a game due to a players' lockout to start the 1998-99 NBA season."
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 AM

That was utterly ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh hey, I didn't realize Joey was one of the NBA refs who lied on their taxes ...adding to his douchebaggery - this is one of the NBA's best?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this guy really does suck as bad as I have always thought.

A big problem w/ Crawford is that he takes borderline situations and turns them into black and white situations when athletics aren't always so one way or the other and can be resolved with a little logic, understanding and compromise. Of course, when the line is crossed you have to take action but this line isn't crossed every time there is an altercation.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM

The tax thing has zero to do with what happened yesterday.

I am so sick of NBA players bitching and bitching about every call that goes against them. I was so excited for the new low tolerance rules for refs, but it seems they only enforced them for the first month of the season or so. Bravo to Crawford for running Duncan out. He wouldn't shut the F up.

GOD I WISH ALL THE NBA PLAYERS WOULD JUST SHUT THE F UP AND PLAY.

Ever see that old clip of a ref lighting into Bill Walton (when he was with the Celtics)?

"Why don't you play the game and quit crying, you big baby!"

I wish.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I think Crawford blows, but Timmay has gotten out of hand in recent years. The European gay fest has really infected that team. Even Brent Barry seems like a bitch now.

and yes, I know Manu is from Argentina. Argentina = Europe in Americas, duh.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Drew Devil,

The point is that refs handle Duncan wrong every year and every game. Usually refs just let Duncan do what he wants, he usually just lives by his own set of rules. Yesterday he bitched for literally an hour until he went to the bench, every time there was a timeout he would walk right by Crawford giving him an earful. Why doesn't Crawford T him up right there on the court and tell him that if he doesn't stop his bitching and moaning that he is going to ruin the game for the rest of his team by watching the game from the locker room...instead he lets himself get red in the face and then T's him up when Duncan is doing something less severe from the bench so then Crawford ends up looking like more of the ass than Duncan. This is the epitome of not knowing how to handle situations.

When there is a problem you end it right there. You don't let it linger so that when it explodes it is a big ol' mess. Plus, Crawford just uses his power to try and shut players up, this doesn't work. Refs need to talk to players and communicate better with them instead of ignoring them and then T'ing them when they won't shut up. Give him a technical and tell him to shut his f'ing mouth and play the game like it supposed to play or he is getting another and Duncan will shut up...but if you just ignore and let him chirp chirp chirp then when he gets a technical of course he is going to be shocked.

kidcolin,

That entire team is hard to watch. It is like watching your manipulative ex-gf on the court.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Duncan in a fight unless Crawford can get him on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid analysis, i agree.