Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Issues with Parents

[ QUOTE ]
If I get my life together, move out and support myself, I really think I've made up my mind, I don't want to see or talk to my parents ever again. But every time I run this through my mind I feel guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're [censored] wrong. You sound like you're sixteen. Guess what? Most parents don't want their 22 year old "adult" kids living in their home. Based on your OP, I don't think you're capable of empathy in this situation, but you really need to try to see this from your parent's point of view.

[censored] grow up.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 AM

You need to get your feelings across to your parents. They won't like it, but it has to be done.

Extremely serious advice: print out what you wrote down, put a note on it explaining that you wrote it to some friends. Give it to your parents to read. That way you can have your full say without them having the chance to interrupt you.

Second, giving them the note won't make things 'happier'. Plan on moving out and living on your own. You're 22, it's time to do that anyway. Your life needs to be seperate from your parents. You have a job now, get an apartment and go from there. Welcome to life.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get my life together, move out and support myself, I really think I've made up my mind, I don't want to see or talk to my parents ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unfortunate that you feel that way. Hopefully you will change your mind about that someday. For what it's worth, I have found in my adult years that I get along much better with my parents when I'm not living with them. Having a buffer zone, independence, and freedom take some of the strain off the relationship in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 AM

OP, go back to college and get a real job.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mom is really strict, annoying, and all she does is nag everyone in the house about things ranging from making my bed to cleaning my room to watching too much TV. She makes life miserable for my brother (14) and my dad also. She doesn't let me eat in my room, and before I had my own car she wouldn't let me borrow her car unless I had my room perfectly clean, and put at least $5 in gas in her car (shes a nit). Also my parents didn't give me money for anything, so if I wanted to go to a game or movie or whatever I had to pay 100%. But there would be times when I would go see a movie Friday night, work Sat afternoon and then try to borrow the car to go out, mom would say no, you were just out. Wtf? I just got used to not going out and doing anything fun unless there was some sort of punishment involved from my parents. Their favorite saying was, and still is, that I "always get my way."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really complain about my parents since they let me live here rent free, for the last 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM

go back to college.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all she does is nag everyone in the house about things ranging from making my bed to cleaning my room to watching too much TV

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a simple solution to the clean your room thing...do you see it. Simple question: Should your parents get to decide how clean their home is?

[ QUOTE ]
Also my parents didn't give me money for anything

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they are trying to encourage you to work. Why should your parents give you money?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an adult now, 21 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the age of an adult. You are not an adult.

[ QUOTE ]
But he's just so eager to kick me out, over stupid stuff like putting an empty pizza box out on the porch

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that your parents shouldn't be upset when you leave garbage sitting around their house?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:27 PM

How can you not know what your dad does for a living?

Think about it, maybe it has something to do with your problems.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Is this your dad's paper company badge photo

Mom and Dad

GOOOO DAD!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 AM

I'm going to give you the same advice others have Grow up, support yourself and move out. My parents supported me through college. I'm very grateful to them for this. When I graduated, I lived with my mom, while working, (my parents divorced while I was in college) for a few months, then moved out on my own, and supported myself from then on. I haven't been given, or borrowed, a dime from my parents after I was on my own. By the time I graduated, I wanted to be self-sufficient. I honestly can't understand why anybody over the age of 21 would want to continue living with and being supported by their parents.

If your current job is only providing you with 5 hours of work per week, you need to find another job, either part time, to supplement your income from the first job, or full time to replace it. No, finding a job isn't always easy. If you're on your own and you want to live like a sob, you can (within limits: trash your place badly enough and the landlord may kick you out). If your parents are willing to support you to finish college, do it. Hell, do it even if you have to work your way through. It will give you a much better chance to find a job that doesn't suck. OTOH, just about any job sucks less than being unemployed. If you don't go to college (or after you do, for that matter), keep looking for better jobs, or to get promoted in the job you have. Hint: You need to do more than the bare minimum to keep from getting fired. If you're dead-ended, look for something better. You don't want to be working at McDonald's when you're 50.

Keep in touch with your parents, even if it's only for Christmas and birthdays. As others have been said, you will probably get along a lot better when you're not living together.

You're an adult now. Start acting like one. Also, your parents don't owe you a damn thing now that you are an adult. Any help they give you now is gravy, so, even if they are a pain in the ass some times, try not to be such an ungrateful whiner.