Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Two kind of silly (possibly bad) A high call downs

I've been trying to concentrate and get reads more when i play instead of doing auto pilot until late game. As a result i'm trying to pick a few more spots to deviate my play based on read. Hopefully these don't look too spewy.

First hand is in stars 50/50. Because of my stack i've been playing pretty straight forward. Villain seems kind of tight pre flop and TAGish post. I felt like his tight pre flop tendencies were the key in this hand.

My stack: ~19k
His stack: ~19k

Blinds 600/1200, I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

Preflop: Folds to SB, SB completes, hero raises to 3600 (i think an argument can be made for shoving as well), SB calls.

From way SB was playing i actually expected him to have a pretty limited range here, he seemed to be raising most decent/mid A's here, and he seemed smart enough not to limp call a lot of SC's in this spot, but by all means still possible, it's only 50/50 afterall.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets 3600, hero calls (this seems like most questionable street.)

Villains tiny bet didn't really ring true for me, and i felt like most 8's/7's weren't in his range. I feel like he's raising A8/A7 (or shoving) pre, but he could have like 9T/98/JT i guess. Still, i felt like he was drawing a lot or just taking a shot with overs.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets 7200, hero calls.

So when the 9 hits i feel like the most probable card for him to have paired with just got less likely, and because of how weak my line looks he should bluff a fair bit.

The next hand is from UB 120 Bounty a few nights ago. BB seemed quite aggressive.

Hero holds A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB.

My stack: ~5000
Villains stack: ~5000

Blinds 150/300 with 25 ante.

Preflop: Folds to hero, hero raises to 900, BB calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets 1200, BB shoves, hero calls.

I knew this villain was always shoving AJ pre, almost always KJ, and sometimes QJ. He might flat QJ/JT/J9, and he's shoving any pair pre. I figured he shows up with a draw almost as often as he shows up with a J, possibly more, that or just making a play on a hard board for me to connect on.

Thoughts?