Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Calling all newbs and veterans... good multiway situation or fold?

If you do insist on sticking with this, though, I've got a challenge for you. No n00b has yet taken me up on it, but I'll throw it out there to see if you're serious about getting better at poker. It will definitely get you better at poker, but it does require work. Here's what I want you to do. For the next week, I don't want you to just grunch the hand posts in here. People "grunch" all the time, and all they do is respond to the one street where there's a question, and the entirety of their post is "Grunch. I bet the turn." Whether or not betting the turn is right, no one really gets better at poker by knowing to bet the turn in this specific situation. You'll never see a situation like that again in all of your poker playing. As the runner up for our NC thread title said, "Learning the what's without the why's isn't wise."

So, I challenge you to super-grunch. Agt, you're welcome to try this, too, or any n00b who's so inclined. Instead of just quipping on the street in question with what you think is the right action, I challenge you to comment thoroughly on every street in the hand. Not just "I agree with the preflop raise." I want you to tell me WHY that raise is correct. Take some time and write it out. That way, the forum and I can correct the reasoning behind your actions and not merely your actions themselves. Now, not all posts contain every street, but no matter. If the action gets cut off before a particular street, then I want you to explain your plan for the rest of the hand, again with a thorough explanation why. Building a plan for how you're going to play a hand is an invaluable skill. If you plan ahead, that will save you from tough decisions later.

In return for this, I will promise to respond to every one of your super-grunches and either give you a gold star that you've got your act together or continue to ask you questions until you can figure things out. I'll even promise to maintain a more pleasant demeanor. If you post your responses complete with reasoning like this, I can fix how you think about the game and how you make decisions at every single point of every single hand you play from now to the end of your life, not just telling you to fold A5s preflop to a raise. THAT is how you get better at poker.

If you want to get better at poker, prove it to me. I'll help, but we've got our work cut out for us.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:53 PM

haha.. I first wanna apologize and say that I was drunk when I posted that gripe last night. I probably wouldn't have taken it so poorly if I was sober (like I might be now..lol).

As far as the two pair hand, I only posted it because immediately when it flopped, there was a flush draw and straight draw on board multiway..then the flush draw came in. I AM new, so I figured it'd be good to see if anyone had anything to say about it (mostly the river).

Also, I WILL take you up on that offer.. It seems like it'll be much more work than I put in now, but I AM willing to get better at poker...that's why I am here for christ's sake! So I guess, no harm, no foul. I'm not a little whining baby. I was just drunk (actually wasted, don't remember posting that..haha) and probably belligerent. Also, as I said in my last post, I'm not entirely sure what hands to post, so if my posts seem ridiculous, I guess maybe I'm not posting the right ones.

See you on the forum.
Nick
Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Grunch

I would fold.

1. Easily dominated by the UTG+1 who open raises from EP or CO who cold calls. What happens when a A falls?

2. I prefer to play AXs with at the minimum 3 others for 1 bet. If more than 4, I would play for 2 bets.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Oh, and Nick, let me amend my promise to comment on your super-grunches. I confess, I might be too lazy to actively seek out every single thread you reply to in this manner, even though I'll catch a fair number just browsing. If I miss one, send me a PM w/ a link to the thread.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM

You're in trouble now, Wook. There are a couple of super grunches out there right now waiting for your attention.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]