Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Super System or Super System 2 / Which Sklansky book is best?

I want to buy just one of the Doyle Brunson books (Super System or System 2) For those that have read both, what do you recommend?

I also want to buy just one of the Sklansky books. For those that have read all or most, what do you recommend? (Is the ToP the clear cut choice or maybe another?)

So far I have read the HoH series and the 3 Phil Gordon books and are looking for the next additions to my poker library
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Super System or Super System 2 / Which Sklansky book is best?

Doyle's NLHE chapter is basically identical in both. SS1 has a very good Stud chapter by Chip Reese, and that's about all I like in that book (that's still relevant). SS2 has good chapters on LHE, O8, Triple Draw, PLO, and Stud8, which are almost all of the modern games (written by Negreanu, Harman and so on). Very good, but they're really only good to get your feet wet.

If you play mostly NLHE, there are other things I'd read first before either Super System.

Theory of Poker is the clear cut choice among Sklansky's poker books, and really can't be passed up if you're going to read poker books at all.

After that it really depends on what you tend to play the most, and whether you play cash games or tournaments. There's lots of material on NLHE and a fair amount on LHE as well. Books on Stud and the hi/lo games are relatively rare, but the ones by 2+2 are fantastic.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Super System or Super System 2 / Which Sklansky book is best?

ToP it is. Thx G!