Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 PM

Default FTOPS event #1 dilemma

my table is playing really tight and i just realized we had 3 people sitting out so that's probably why, i've been raising a lot(mostly picking up hands) and getting cold called and 3-bet like never.

button is easily second most active at my table(50/100 level fwiw)...he opens to 3x and i have 29x in the sb with ATs. bb is sitting out but has 22x.

not sure how relevant him sitting out is because i don't know if btn realizes this since on ftp it doesn't say they are sitting out like it does on stars.

so...who likes what and why?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: FTOPS event #1 dilemma

Our stack kind of sucks for 3 betting but calling feels weak vs button raiser on BB sitting out. Then again how much effort is he making towards attacking for 150?

I guess because i think if we 3 bet we somtimes end up stuck in like a 60 BB pot with AT, i might just call. Hell i might even mix it up, raise 30%, call 70%, that sort of thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Well, if he is easily second most active that means a looser range that ATs may be good against. I would at least call and maybe raise.

You said there have been no 3 bets going on so we aren't sure how the guy will react to this. If you plan to 3bet/fold calling is much greater because your hand has so much value. So if you think he will 4bet < AT or air I would do it with the intention of calling.

Another, easy, but perhaps not as good line, is to call and play your hand purely for value since you seem to have a table where you can pick up the 2.5bb you spent calling rather easily.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 PM

1. call
2. float
3. ???
4. profit

seriously tho on stars I might give more creedence to a blatant steal to a sitting out BB, but as you say on tilt it's diff, with 22BBs call/play poker after flop

note* once I find out that a guy is sitting out on FTP I will make it a point to rob his blinds every time, since most will not know what I'm doing
Old 05-12-2007, 12:05 AM

so seems like neither of u guys like a fold. i don't really like 3-betting because i feel like i can't call a shove without knowing more about this guy, but at the same time i don't know if he's going to just think 88 or KQ is nuts here and jam on me. i can come up with no real cons for calling while i can with folding or 3-betting.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:13 AM

I'd definitely reraise preflop, you probably can't fold no matter what happens at this point since a reraise commits so much, especially since there is some chance he realizes the BB is sitting out.

FWIW I'd raise 100% for certain in his spot if I noticed the BB was out, especially if I thought the SB might not notice.

His normal range when combined with his range if he notices the guy is sitting out makes anything but reraising too weak IMO.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 AM

I edited my first post, saying "at least call and maybe raise." I first typed probably when describing the raise...We are only 30bb deep here, but I would only raise planning to call a rr.

Raise > call >>> folding. ATs is a very "playable" hand so if you just called I don't necessarily see a problem with that.

What would you do if this was a $22 tourney?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 AM

'What would you do if this was a $22 tourney?'

probably just 3-bet and get it in because people stack off a lot lighter and i wouldn't be so worried.

currently i'm liking curtains' advice and think it's a 3-bet go and go call shove pf etc, but i can easily be swayed in another direction.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 AM

ATs is too far ahead of buttons range to fold.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 AM

Yeah I 3bet and call a 4bet here. Really I think it's scariest if he just calls your 3bet pf, but I probably shove most any flop regardless.