Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Default HR 1955

This bill has already passed the House. When I read the language of the bill I got visions of Orwell. Should I get my tin foil hat, or is this nothing to worry about? If you don't know what it's all about, here's a link:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...a&aid=7439
Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: HR 1955

I'm failing to see what exactly you are so freaked out about, can you explain in more detail?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm failing to see what exactly you are so freaked out about, can you explain in more detail?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell, I think this quote from the article summarizes it:

"Many observers fear that the proposed law will be used against U.S.-based groups engaged in legal but unpopular political activism, ranging from political Islamists to animal-rights and environmental campaigners to radical right-wing organizations. There is concern, too, that the bill will undermine academic integrity and is the latest salvo in a decade-long government grab for power at the expense of civil liberties."

Basically, Americans are accustomed to being able to speak freely and have their own opinions without fear of being reprimanded for them, regardless of how popular their beleifs are. One can make an argument that this bill might change that.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Many observers fear that the proposed law will be used against U.S.-based groups engaged in legal but unpopular political activism, ranging from political Islamists to animal-rights and environmental campaigners to radical right-wing organizations. There is concern, too, that the bill will undermine academic integrity and is the latest salvo in a decade-long government grab for power at the expense of civil liberties."

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the bill, but if the above summary is correct, then the courts will strike down the law when it is first enforced as unconstitutional.

I supsect that the summary, above, is engaging in hyperpole. So, no, I'm not worried.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 AM

Conveniently the Library of Congress Thomas.gov website has a page giving 4 different versions of this bill that you can read: H.R. 1955. So why not read it yourself instead of relying on the biased interpretations of others? Or was that your point in quoting the "many observers fear" stuff instead of quoting the last section of the bill which seems to be the same in all 4 versions:

SEC. 899F. PROTECTING CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES WHILE PREVENTING IDEOLOGICALLY-BASED VIOLENCE AND HOMEGROWN TERRORISM.

`(a) In General- The Department of Homeland Security's efforts to prevent ideologically-based violence and homegrown terrorism as described herein shall not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, and civil liberties of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents.

`(b) Commitment to Racial Neutrality- The Secretary shall ensure that the activities and operations of the entities created by this subtitle are in compliance with the Department of Homeland Security's commitment to racial neutrality issued in an Department-wide Memorandum on June 1, 2004.

`(c) Auditing Mechanism- The Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Officer of the Department of Homeland Security will develop and implement an auditing mechanism to ensure that compliance with this subtitle does not result in a disproportionate impact, without a rational basis, on any particular race, ethnicity, or religion and include within its annual report to Congress required under section 705.'.

Edit: that link doesn't work apparently as it is generated via a query. Just go to thomas.gov and search by bill number.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(c) Auditing Mechanism- The Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Officer of the Department of Homeland Security will develop and implement an auditing mechanism to ensure that compliance with this subtitle does not result in a disproportionate impact, <u>without a rational basis</u>, on any particular race, ethnicity, or religion and include within its annual report to Congress required under section 705.'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody just relax, we're only going after muslims. Nothing more to see here.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 AM

Actually the intent is to crack down on those tree-hugging eco-terrorists and PETA spray-paint-fur loons too.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually the intent is to crack down on those tree-hugging eco-terrorists and PETA spray-paint-fur loons too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll allow it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

`(a) In General- The Department of Homeland Security's efforts to prevent ideologically-based violence and homegrown terrorism as described herein shall not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, and civil liberties of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents.

`(b) Commitment to Racial Neutrality- The Secretary shall ensure that the activities and operations of the entities created by this subtitle are in compliance with the Department of Homeland Security's commitment to racial neutrality issued in an Department-wide Memorandum on June 1, 2004.

`(c) Auditing Mechanism- The Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Officer of the Department of Homeland Security will develop and implement an auditing mechanism to ensure that compliance with this subtitle does not result in a disproportionate impact, without a rational basis, on any particular race, ethnicity, or religion and include within its annual report to Congress required under section 705.'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no lawyer, so maybe this is completely above me but it seems like we're creating another government department which has to comply with standards set in a memo that some other department which was just recently created sent out. There's no particular oversight, certainly no need to answer to the public. Some officer, who nobody really knows anything about, is vaguely going to create a mechanism of some sort to ensure that this is completely fair.

But hey, they said they weren't going to violate civil liberties, so no worries!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no lawyer, so maybe this is completely above me but it seems like we're creating another government department which has to comply with standards set in a memo that some other department which was just recently created sent out. There's no particular oversight, certainly no need to answer to the public. Some officer, who nobody really knows anything about, is vaguely going to create a mechanism of some sort to ensure that this is completely fair.

But hey, they said they weren't going to violate civil liberties, so no worries!

[/ QUOTE ]

They said the won't violate them "in general".