Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 AM

Default $500 live - a few hands Fall Classic

Early hand – no reads yet. Villain is older – say 60ish. 25-25 blinds, start with 3000 chips. He is in about MP1 and raises to 125. I flat call with AhKs. Flop is As5s7x. He bets 150. I raise to 450 and he says "oh really? I'm all in." And I?....

Much later - I've got more than 110,000 in chips, about 1/6 the chips in play. there's 30 left, 18 are paid.

Blinds are 800/1600 / 400 ante. I raise in LP to 5k, with 77. BB flat calls. Flop is 58T, two clubs. He checks. I bet 8k. he check-raises all in quickly. He immediately stands up and starts pacing around. I get the feeling from his pacing and behavior that he doesn’t want me to call- that he is on some kind of a draw. But does weak mean strong? I have him well covered but I think it would cost about 20,000 to call.

A smaller stack has been pushing quite frequently – not every hand but maybe 1/3 to ˝ of his hands. He was down to 10k and is now up to a little more than 20k. he pushes. I have KJo and cover by about 20,000. and I?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: $500 live - a few hands Fall Classic

Hand 1, I have no idea what hands are beating you. I generally don't give live old guys credit for raising A5/A7/57 type hands in middle position. I suppose he can show up with sets here occasionally but I'm never folding AK here to live guys and this structure.

Hand 2, by my math you are getting about 2.5 to 1 and if you think his hand range is dominated by combo draws than you should probably call. However, I think a lot of times he can have a ten here and act the same way because "I don't want to get outdrawn by AK". So despite the good price, I think you are pretty crushed by his range, and I usually fold here.

As for hand 3, nobody can answer for you because you have not included position/blinds.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Hand 1 is probably a good fold, I can't imaging him stacking off w/ a worse hand here unless he sucks, but since you don't have any reads yet we don't know that. However, I hate raising this flop if we don't know how we're going to respond to a 3-bet, so I prefer calling the flop to exercise some pot control and at the same time give him an opportunity to keep putting money in the pot with a worse hand.

Hand 2 I pretty much agree with what juttelstud said.

Hand 3 we need more info.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Hand 1 I'm not raising the flop without intentions of calling a shove. Which I would.

Hand 2, raise to less preflop. They're folding for 4k. Fold to the c/r for reasons juttelstud said.

Hand 3 we really need info.

I can't run good one time in these [censored] tournaments.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 AM

hand 1 - I folded b/c it was so early and I lacked a read. the old guy accidentally flashed paint when he folded so I think it was a bad fold. much later on in the tournament we discussed the hand and he said he had AQ.

hand 2 - the dude stayed on 85s - lolz? and weak = strong. s/have folded. I shouldn't have even c-bet with the two over cards.

hand 3 - I didn't want to show amounts b/c it revealed what happened in earlier hands - but I guess he had 26k and I had 40k and the blinds were 800/1600/400.

also, in general should I be kicking myself for blowing it having 111k and 1) calling all-ins instead of just trying to steal from LP and fold unless I had AK or JJ+? 2) making 3 bad calls and taking one bad beat?

took 17th. trying again on Monday.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Hand 3, what position did the guy push from and what position are you? I am not calling 16xBB with KJo unless it is BvB or something.

Hand 1, yeh call. Also, maybe reraise preflop and maybe flat call initially on the flop.

As for calling resteals with a big stack, it really depends on your hand and the situation. When you have that many chips, you don't want to blow a sure top place, but you also want to take advantage if you can push people around particularly on bubbles.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM

we were about 7 handed and he was in EP and I was in LP; I pushed to isolate, taking the risk that someone would wake up with a monster, but the others folded. he had KT, and sucked out a straight on the river.