Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

I think it is also a quality of brand issue as well. MS wants people to think they are producing high quality stuff. You can't have riff raff mixing in with the cream!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because Live is a controlled environment. Microsoft decided to try to ensure a certain level of quality and age-standards amongst everything on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't what Bungie's doing with Forge and file shares kinda a weaker version of what I'm talking about though? What's to stop someone to write a big "[censored] YOU" on the ground on Valhalla using boxes and send that to all their friends? Is it important (from Microsoft's POV) that Halo 3 stuff is Bungie-controlled rather than Live-controlled?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:07 PM

User created maps are often as much fun in games as are the maps that came with the game. They extend the longevity immensely and keep the gaming feeling like it's new and there will be more surprises in it for a long time. I always look forward to user-created maps. Mods, not so much, but lots of people do. It's definitely a strength of the PC platform that such things are fairly routine.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM

It depends on the game. Mods completely changed Quake 1/2 (CTF was ridic fun in both, and I was completely addicted to Weapons Factory in Q2, which was based on TeamFortress and imo was better) and Half-Life (would anyone remember that game if not for TFC, DoD, and CS?). Nowadays though games tend to come with more variety in gametypes which decreases the need for user mods.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half-Life (would anyone remember that game if not for TFC, DoD, and CS?).

[/ QUOTE ]
The original Half Life was one of the highest rated games of all-time and received multiple Game of the Year awards.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Yeah, that was a crappy way to word it. Rather, people wouldn't still have been talking about it like 5 years after it was released. The deathmatch it came with wasn't that great, HL's lifetime beyond single player was due solely to mods.

I didn't even think the single player was GotY worthy unless that happened to be a down year for video games but I'm obv in the minority on that one.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was a crappy way to word it. Rather, people wouldn't still have been talking about it like 5 years after it was released. The deathmatch it came with wasn't that great, HL's lifetime beyond single player was due solely to mods.

I didn't even think the single player was GotY worthy unless that happened to be a down year for video games but I'm obv in the minority on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are. Obviously looking at the story and gameplay today it doesn't seem worthy, but at the time it was a huge step forward in fps gameplay. I remember finishing the single player right after it came out and being totally blown away.

All depends on when you played it imo.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I got to the end of FFXII without leveling at all. Just before the final boss I looked on gamefaqs to see what he'd be like in terms of attacks and recommended level and such. I saw that I'd have to spend several hours leveling to stand a chance, turned it off and haven't looked back.

I feel like I wasted dozens of hours to get to the end of a game and not be able to polish her off, but being forced to level is so [censored] ghey.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you just feel like ranting, even though you know pretty much everyone disagrees with you.

I create this thread as the home for the minority opinion for popular titles. I'll start because I feel the need to rant.

I've tried, for two weeks, God I've tried. Orange Box. Disgustingly dated graphics that remind me of a day in PC gaming I'm glad we're far past, a terribly gay story line that somehow finds a way to take itself seriously. Decent level design with lame weapons, and a prime example of terrible writing and to a lesser extent voice acting in a well funded videogame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played Episode 2 yet, but am glad to see someone else trash the storytelling in HL2. It's always been bareboned as fair I'm concerned and I cannot understand why every damn critic says it's so great. The games have never made me feel any affinity for Gordon Freeman whatsoever either.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM

I'll do a World of Warcraft, and really all MMORPGs one.

The appeal of WoW truly escapes me. I played for about a month then quit out of sheer boredom. It's just so damn repetitve. The gameplay is incredibly tedious. Quests are so repetitive and unimaginative - Kill 10 baby dragons and 5 lion cubs so you can get some gold and xp. Now level up and buy new equipment. What's the big difference? You now do 2 more damage when you whack someone with your sword, and take 2 less when you get hit. Now go kill 10 teenage dragons and 5 lions. Repeat until you get to level 60 or fall asleep. What's the point? What am I achieving here? Nothing more than being able to say that my character has ever bigger numbers to his name. There's just a total lack of motivation. Sigh, it's sad to see that traditional RPGs in the Baldur's Gate 2 mold seem to have become a niche genre.