Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Neteller alleges I owe them $3k+ WTF?!

NOTE FOR MODS: Wasnt sure where to post this so if it doesnt belong here, please feel free to move it to the right forum and pm me.

Im a little concerned because I just got the following email from investigations@neteller.com:

NETELLER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. xxxx (I have omitted my name for obv reasons),

According to our records, your NETELLER account has a negative balance of $(3,067.00) USD.

NETELLER requires full payment of this balance within 7 days. If we do not receive this payment, your account will be referred to a third-party agency that will pursue the collection of this debt on our behalf. At that time, your NETELLER account will be closed.

To avoid having your account referred to a collections agency please contact NETELLER within the next 7 days at 1-866-775-3345 to make payment arrangements.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NETELLER

Trusted by millions of members and thousands of merchants, NETELLER is the world’s largest independent online money transfer business. NETELLER PLC Group is a public company quoted on the London Stock Exchange (AIM) and NETELLER (UK) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Copyright� 2007 NETELLER. All rights reserved. Trademarks are the property of NETELLER PLC Group, 1 Circular Road, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 1AF

Normally I am very suspect about these sort of emails, but this one looked legit, Im pretty sure the sender is the legit Neteller investigations address.

First up: It is IMPOSSIBLE that my account can have a negative balance. I have NEVER deposited using credit card, and to be honest Im not even sure how to get a negative balance!

The following may be relevant: This Neteller account was hacked about 4 months ago and used as part of a laundering ring, according to Neteller investigations themselves. Luckily I had no money in the account at the time (all on sites), and so I agreed to let Neteller close the account after they said they had solved the problem. I havent made another one in my name as I am currently using one held by my father at the moment.

Usually I just brush these sort of emails off as spam, but this one seemed real to me. I havent emailed them back yet, as Im not sure exactly what to say, but again, there is NO WAY I owe this.

What should I do? If anyone needs anymore info from me dont hesitate to post. Thx!
Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Neteller alleges I owe them $3k+ WTF?!

I wouldnt pay them anything.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 AM

Just tell them all the money you have was earned from playing poker so it would be illegal to give them any.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Thats a cooler........
Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 AM

Send Neteller an email telling them that you are a complaining witness for the gov't in a case charging them with money laundering and that the FBI has instructed you not to participate in any more transactions.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:39 AM

If you don't think you owe them anything, I would call them. It sounds like it could have something to do with the laundering ring.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Neteller has an e-cheque type of deposit method. After a few successful deposits the limits go up pretty fast so $3k is certainly possible.

It could be just a administrations issue. The negative balance being the result of the hacking yet that investigation being dealt with by someone else and lack of communication between them.

Failing that I'd want to know how the balance got to be negative including what bank the EFT was rejected from. The IP of the computer that imitated the EFT. Where the funds were eventually laundered to.

If they can't connect those to me I'd refuse to pay.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt pay them anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 AM

Send them copies of old communications to let them know your account was hacked, closed, etc. and has nothing to do with you anymore.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 AM

A) No way I'd pay them cent if this is not possibly your debt.

B) If they are seriously considering turning you over to collections, you HAVE to contact them. It's going to be a LOT easier to get this straightened out now than it would be in a few years when your trying to get a mortgage or car loan and can't because of this fiasco.