Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Hand + Theory Question

Me and a friend are having a disagreement about a hand I played today.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($124.80)
SB ($54.95)
BB ($71.45)
UTG ($25.50)
MP ($40.90)
CO ($95.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2.50, UTG calls $2.50, MP calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($15) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.5</font>, SB calls $9.50, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22.5</font>, MP folds,
Hero?

I'm almost positive that the SB in this hand has AA. I've seen him raise it from the blinds before and this table has been so agg. I can see him checking this flop to induce a steal. I'm also pretty sure that the shortstack is drawing close to dead against me.

Feel free to disagree but I think my flop check is good here, I'm not really afraid of any draws and I'm in bad shape if the SB has aces and check/raises me all-in.

My friend and I disagree on the turn line. He thinks that I should just call this bet to induce a call from the SB. I think I should put the SB all-in here, being almost certain that he has AA.

My logic is that if I just call the SB will be getting almost 6-1 to draw to a full house with his AA which he has roughly a ~20% chance of doing. I don't think the extra $10 here is enought to risk losing a $60 pot. My other line of reasoning is that he might be willing to put it all-in with AA on the turn when he still has outs rather than calling a river bet into a dead pot.

Now consider if the villain has a deeper stack in this example. Should I try to collect more value by making a small raise or just try to take the pot down right there? Is it ever correct in omaha to bet smaller to give a drawing hand better odds against your made nuts?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Hand + Theory Question

I mean he ain't gonna fold AAxx regardless so just put it in
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 PM

in answer to your theory question, yes it is sometimes correct to give a draw good odds against your made hand, e.g. when they're likely to make a mistake on later streets. but in this hand, just push.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 AM

if sb would be deeper i prefer miniraise, representing him a [censored] hand. as played, shove
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 AM

why would you give him good odds when you know what he has and cant get money on the river? not to mention he might be willing to ship it all in on the turn with you as a big favorite. Its not like he can pay you on a blank river anyhow...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 AM

push, because you hope he will make a Sklansky mistake by calling.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM

Well, it's probably a bit "cute," but I really think you should use your informational advantage here: AA doesn't have 10 outs but at most 7--and of course obviously calls a rivered K, but that's only 1 out for you.

So, he thinks he needs 4:1 but actually needs closer to 5:1. I don't think you can call and give him the odds he needs, but I do think you can raise less than max.

A mini-raise to $35.50 would mean that SB has to call $26 for a chance at something like $90, but he's also almost all-in with that anyway, having something like $10 left at that point, and now it's awfully hard for you not to call the river for $10 on non-K board pairings for a chance at $116 or so.

I dunno, I think it's all so artificial here that you might as well shove. There's not enough stack depth left to get cute here.