Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

Mikey, while attempting to prove me wrong(which you did) you also proved my point. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont get the 3 5 minute rounds. imo its an awful structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use one twenty minute round.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM

I like the 10 min 1st round 5 min 2nd and 3rd.

Figured I'd link to some clips of exciting grapplers posters may not have seen before. These might not be the best videos but they'll serve as an intro.

Imanari: Leglock artist, not much else. Thats Jorge Gurgel he taps last.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ldw-TFeZqY
Genki Sudo (UFC vet, well known but this video pwns so I'm posting it, also its sub wrestling not MMA.) All around great fighter, retired now.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBkWpILNjRs
Rumina Sato: More sub wrestling, good fighter, pulled off a flying armbar in MMA.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HZhLAupMHqU
Baret Yoshida: sick sub artist, not too successful at mma.
heres his flying armbar vs megaton diaz.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iws5shXAXFk
Tyrone Glover: Excellent grappler, been tearing it up in mma
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l3JDNc04pAo

Enson Inoue vs Big Nog: Nog is disgusting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OmuFaf4MAfQ
Saku vs Carlos Newton
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yoIsYrEnbLk

Marcelo Garcia: Apparently going to debut in MMA soon, but no reason needed, hes like Antonious in the BJJ world.
http://www.ikusa.fr/encapsulation.ph...lay&id=164
http://www.ikusa.fr/encapsulation.ph...play&id=43
couple random training vids, youtube has most of his big matches
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I would have the rule that if the fight isn't ended before time runs out, it counts as a loss for both fighters. This would eliminate the questions of how fights should be judged, and would create very exciting fights.

I actually like the rate at which the UFC has stand ups, and I think everyone else stands up too quickly. I think if they used the system I am sugesting, there would be almost no need for stand-ups, and that is good because it is in keeping with the spirit of MMA.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I would have the rule that if the fight isn't ended before time runs out, it counts as a loss for both fighters. This would eliminate the questions of how fights should be judged, and would create very exciting fights.

I actually like the rate at which the UFC has stand ups, and I think everyone else stands up too quickly. I think if they used the system I am sugesting, there would be almost no need for stand-ups, and that is good because it is in keeping with the spirit of MMA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone would have horrendous records. Fedor would go from 20-1 to 13-8. Liddell would go from 20-3 to 15-8.

Plus, this means champions just need to stall for 5 rounds if they can't be beat by decision, unless you are suggested the title be vacated after every championship fight that goes 5 rounds.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone would have horrendous records. Fedor would go from 20-1 to 13-8. Liddell would go from 20-3 to 15-8.

Plus, this means champions just need to stall for 5 rounds if they can't be beat by decision, unless you are suggested the title be vacated after every championship fight that goes 5 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said in my previous post, I wouldn't have rounds, just a time limit (about 20 or 30 minutes). I think that under this system, few fights would go the distance, so peoples records wouldn't be as bad as you suggest. (Also, what matters is relative records. If your record is 15-8, and that is the best record out there, than that would be an excellent record.)

I think vacating the title if there is no winner is a good idea, but I don't really care. Titles are a joke in mma (and boxing), so I don't really care about them.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 AM

Man, its great watching guys who are comfortable on their back.

Probably the lamest/gayest [censored] to watch in the ring.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 AM

BTW, just so its apparent I am not a hater, Sudo was tight.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM

Jstnrgrs -

so you want to go back to the way UFC originally did fight lengths (i.e. till someone wins)? There were some epic bouts in the first 4-8 UFC's, but the gaming commissions obviously weren't up for the appearance of such barbarism. If you'll remember, UFC was widely banned because of fight length, no gloves, too few rules, etc. The sport gained true legitimacy by accepting more mainstream rules, there's no way they're throwing those out now. Not to mention, no fighting sport would create a situation where their best fighters have terrible records, as casual fans are impressed by good looking fight records.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jstnrgrs -

so you want to go back to the way UFC originally did fight lengths (i.e. till someone wins)? There were some epic bouts in the first 4-8 UFC's, but the gaming commissions obviously weren't up for the appearance of such barbarism. If you'll remember, UFC was widely banned because of fight length, no gloves, too few rules, etc. The sport gained true legitimacy by accepting more mainstream rules, there's no way they're throwing those out now. Not to mention, no fighting sport would create a situation where their best fighters have terrible records, as casual fans are impressed by good looking fight records.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I understand the need for safety rules, so I am not suggesting that the bring back head butts, or kicks to downed opponents. I actually think it would be safer if the figheters fought without gloves, but that doesn't matter to me.

I don't think having rounds helps to make the fight safer, so I wish they would just have one time limit. There should be a time limit, because if a fight can go long enough, it can become excessively dangerous.

My idea of counting a fight that goes to the limit as a loss was just an idea to get fighters to finish the fight. I think this would work better than stalling warnings. However, a more realistic answer might be to have fights that go the distance count as draws.

Fights like sanchez/koshcheck and the last arlovsky fight will kill the sport if they don't do something about them.

BTW, if you want the fighters to have impressive records, then they should just count each win as 10 wins. That would dazzel the moronic casual fans to whom you refer.