Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 AM

Default .04/.08 Stud on Stars: Ok, Rip Me A New One!

I'm questioning my passivity from 5th street on. Comments please.

7 Card Stud High ($0.04/$0.08), Ante $0.01, Bring-In $0.02 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (5.13 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (5.13 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (5.13 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (8.13 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $0.65 | Rake $0.03

Seat 1: [3h 6c 6h 4c 7d 7s 3c]

Hero: [Jd Jc Th Ts Ah 8h 3d]

Seat 4: [8d Js As 8s 3s 5h Ac] (two pair, Aces and Eights)

</font>
Old 01-20-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: .04/.08 Stud on Stars: Ok, Rip Me A New One!

Giving free cards on fifth and sixth is a disaster.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 AM

I'm shocked that many people folded.

I think tricky is wrong--there's a lot of 1/2 games I can't even fire fourth with that hand because everybody chases everything and you have to fill up to win the pot. I'm still stunned it's not an eight person chase fest to the river.

The only reason bets on fifth/sixth could be correct is just from the fact that you hold cards he wants.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm shocked that many people folded.

I think tricky is wrong--there's a lot of 1/2 games I can't even fire fourth with that hand because everybody chases everything and you have to fill up to win the pot. I'm still stunned it's not an eight person chase fest to the river.

The only reason bets on fifth/sixth could be correct is just from the fact that you hold cards he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would rather give them free cards than make them pay for them when you are likely ahead? Silly.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Bad mistakes in this hand.
Giving the free cards was insane. I believe that trickyAAAs thinking is superior here. Wheat is absolutely correct that you are going to encounter massive chasers at the "penny poker" levels, however, you must make them pay to chase and get money in the pot when you know your hands are good. It's how you can actually play winner at these levels; accept the fact that you're going to get drawn out on a frustrating number of times, but those same drawers are giving you more money than they're taking, in the long run.
If you are playing a style that refrains from betting your best hands "because they will chase and might catch", you may as well quit playing Stud.

This wasn't a hand worthy of "slowplay" for two reasons.

1) The level you are playing at, it's against the law to ever fold, thus all you are doing is encouraging people to draw to beat your (mediocre) hand.

2) 2 Pair on 4th isn't a monster by any means. It isn't a "slowplay to encourage action" hand. It is a hand you bet, raise and reraise with on early streets, then reassess on subsequent streets.

When you are playing penny poker, realize that you are playing at a level where people absolutely couldn't care less about the "money". To them, the one or two "bluffers" they catch by constantly calling down with crap is more rewarding than the money they donk off trying to do it.

The low $ levels are bad enough and I just can't bear to play them. I cannot even imagine playing the penny games.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:39 PM

Definitely bet fifth. There are several spades out, so it's quite likely that that guy has something other than a flush. Same with sixth. The river is closer, and against those boards, I'd lean towards checking and calling.

And don't include results in the initial post.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't realize how many spades were out and thought he was on a flush draw, and that he hit it, thus checked 5th and 6th. Now, let's say that spades were very live. Would you still recommend betting out on 5th and then slowing down only if you're raised?

And sorry about the results. I thought that since they were white, it wouldn't be an issue. I won't do that again.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 AM

Also, many people at this level have very low starting hand requirements when they have an ace, so the fact that he has an ace up makes it less likely he started with a 3-flush.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The low $ levels are bad enough and I just can't bear to play them. I cannot even imagine playing the penny games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the pennies jingle when the dealer pushes you the pot? :P
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And sorry about the results. I thought that since they were white, it wouldn't be an issue. I won't do that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is, unless you post in BBV. There it's totally okay.