Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Matusow on HSP, \"lost 1.7 mil straight\"

This thread is so dumb except for the awesome hooker-virgin analogy.

People loan him money to keep him in action.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is very weary too me is all these players go broke playing these 300-600nl. For example I read about SBrugby making 200,000 in one day, then losing another 100,000 the next.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he won 3 buy ins one day and lost one and a half the next? That aba20 is one sick bastard.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM

They loan him money not because he is a losing player (presumably he isnt a long term loser overall, probably not a great deal better than breakeven though) but the main reason they lend it is because he is a catalyst player who makes others loosen up and bring worse players into the game - much in the same way as the big game players making huge allowances for Sammy Farha when he is in town wanting to play.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 AM

QFT

Here's the best-ever crazy compulsive gambling blog:

http://88percent.blogspot.com/

Incredible reading: he went from a £1k roll and playing £5/£10 to (very briefly) a £175k roll and playing $250/$500 in a few months. He couldn't move down once he'd moved to a bigger table - he had to be on the biggest table a site had.

The only difference between Bluescouse and a lot of these high stakes players is they have people who'll stake them, endorsement deals, or large tournament wins which keep them in the game while he's now gone.

[ QUOTE ]
In my view, mostly all these poker players besides a few (Jesus, Johny Chan, etc) are all COMPLETE SICKO gamibiling degen. If they only played poker they'd be rich but they have these addictions. Money isnt a big deal to them because they think so what, Ill make it back plus more.

What is very weary too me is all these players go broke playing these 300-600nl. For example I read about SBrugby making 200,000 in one day, then losing another 100,000 the next.

How much money do these guys actually make, I dont think 2 million dollars a year is [censored] for playing at these nosebleed stakes they play. If only they dropped down a few, and played I believe their profit would be double, triple what they make now. But the reason being is it isnt entertaining to them.

Realize it, their addicts, and to tell you the truth Id much rather be a drug addict then a gambiling addict. I think the head of a gambiling is alot more [censored] up then a druggie. At least with a druggie, if they are on drugs their normal. Where as a gambilin degen, if he wins a 1,000,000 in a sitting, hes likely to go gamble it away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM

lmao @ all these haters yall need to get off Matusows balls

it must be sad being you guys those having to rationalize why you wouldn't want Matusow's success and fame. like it or not he IS taken care of for a good while and is far from being asset broke.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM

interesting that you should point out that mike matusow is a catalyst for games. id like to elaborate on that because its something that i have been thinking about the past few days. when a huge fish comes into town to play a game, especially a non-holdem game, not only is he going to drop alot of money, but alot of people are going to play in the game who have no idea what theyre doing just because the fish is there. this past week at commerce ive seen it happen multiple times. ive been in the best stud8 game ive ever been in 3 times this week because someone was the catalyst. if i thought it was highly likely id get the money back from the catalyst, id lend him the money to play to get all those other people in the game.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing you have little to no experiance dealing with hardcore drug addicts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding.

Seriously, most hardcore drug addicts are much worse off as they usually end up dead, homeless, and/or in such bad shape physically and mentally that they wish they were dead and have no hope of ever recovering to there former state of health/mind.. Yes I've dealt with these kind of people before.

The gambler can end up in bad shape too but they can recover their mental states and there's usually no ill physical effects (unless a bookie's enforcer gets them)
Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM

little to no experience with drug addicts?

Im sorry, but as a previous addict and one who had a gambiling problem as well and also one who has had many friends who were drug addicst who some even died, Im very experienced in that field.

Im not saying Im right or wrong, its my opinion, but to explain my other factor is why not drop down to a game where they have a huge edge. With stakes of 300-600 the player should have a multi million dollar bankroll, where as the people on this forum discuss their roll is high 6 figures, low 7. For these stakes, Im sorry but that sucks...Id rather (which I am doing) do something like Strassa, basically work in the real world and have potential to make much more money w/ out the risk. Is it fun to lose 200,000 in a day? and then win it back three days later? And then lose it again, and win it back, da da da da, etc....

These people are addicts and do it for the thrill and "addiction" (love) to the game. They dont get hard off [censored] 25-50 NL, and get greedy. When poker dies, which it is already starting too, these people who had hundreds of thousands or the many few Internet with millions will lose it to the BEST players.

These young gun internet hot shot who may lose 200,000 or win 200,000 in a day talk [censored] out of their ass. I am 99% sure their bankroll is not above a million. All players go bust if they are playing against the same skill. Poker is a still a fking game, not a job.

I love poker and wish I could play at these stakes without the worry of losing 200,000. Im just expressing my opinion, I could be wrong, right, but no one here can say whats worse, a gambiling addict or druggie, In my OWN experiences Id rather be a drug addict or friend of one because I wouldnt be harming as many people as if I was a gambilin junkie. A gambiling addict will never get cured where as a druggie has a much higher potential of getting clean.

And also, Id have to say Matusow is def the best thing to hit poker. His personality is one of the main reason it is entertaining for TV. The dude may be a smuck in real life, but whatever he is one of the main reason the fking game became popular.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Listening to Matusow talk about losing money is like listening to a hooker talk about losing her virginity. You expect it to be interesting- but all you end up thinking is God I'm glad I'm not you.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT
Old 03-21-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If only they dropped down a few, and played I believe their profit would be double, triple what they make now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, please explain how this works. In depth, if possible. Bonus marks for equations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume he means that beating 25/50 for 5ptbb/100 over 70k hands a month is better than beating 200/400 for 2ptbb/100 over 12k hands a month, which seems a reasonable idea though aba is obv the worst possible example