Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: SSNL CHEESE THREAD: OCTOBERFEST EDITION

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, ive always wondered who my opponents are.
Who here multi tables $100NL at party (6m)?
Raise your hand. I know some of you are out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
m00
Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm gonna carry over Keepitsimple's question at the end of the last cheese thread.
[ QUOTE ]
Keyzer, how do you feel 2/4 is compared to 1/2? Im planning on moving up in the very near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought 400nl was like ridiculously hard with a ton of aggro players, but after a few thousand hands it just feels like any other level now. It’s harder than 200nl obviously, and I think the jump from 200 to 400 is probably harder than the jump from 100 to 200, but there are still big fish and regulars with big leaks.

One thing I've noticed is that 400nl seems to be the level where table selection really starts to get important. While there were good and bad tables at 100/200nl, there weren't many tables where a decent player couldn't hold his own. But at 400nl some tables are full of 27/20 types who never let you open a pot and are real tough.

Also some things that work at 100/200 just won’t work at 400, like limp/calling small pocket pairs UTG for example. There’s more of a need to isolate, like you’re on the button with KTo and CO limps, I used to limp with okay success at lower limits but it’s an automatic raise now. Plus you have to make sure not to just call LP raises from the CO/Button because a lot of TAGs in the blinds will squeeze with any two, which is something you don’t see much at lower limits. So yeah, it’s quite a bit different but it’s still beatable. Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:30 PM

I think just as general advice for anyone moving up to a new level is to move up or take shots on weekends, and especially weekend nights if possible(even like 6-9pm is good and you can still go out at night). This way you get the very softest games and quite a few donations, be careful not to bluff too much though cause you will get called a ton.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've noticed is that 400nl seems to be the level where table selection really starts to get important. While there were good and bad tables at 100/200nl, there weren't many tables where a decent player couldn't hold his own. But at 400nl some tables are full of 27/20 types who never let you open a pot and are real tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find table selection is overrated. If you want to show a nice short term profit, then yes, good selection skills are very useful. But if you want to get a good long term profit, you need to improve and move up. Nothing does that better than sitting down with a bunch of 27/20 regulars.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Well, I can't play poker or leave my house. My october is going to suck big time
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can't play poker or leave my house. My october is going to suck big time

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf house arrest + busto?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM

I'm going here for dinner tonight, they have an oktoberfest celebration going on.

http://www.weissgerbers.com/gasthaus/

Only 1 mile from my apartment!!!!11

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Wisconsin
Old 10-01-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find table selection is overrated. If you want to show a nice short term profit, then yes, good selection skills are very useful. But if you want to get a good long term profit, you need to improve and move up. Nothing does that better than sitting down with a bunch of 27/20 regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, not sure I agree. It's not like when you practice good table selection you're at a table full of 75/10 donators. There will still be tough TAGs and you will still play pots with them. There's really just no reason, imo, to stay at table where everyone is a good player. The amount that it improves your play is less than the value of the money you could make elsewhere (and more money = moving up, more play at higher limits, etc.).
Old 10-01-2006, 05:52 PM

Sitting down at a table with 5 other TAGs when you're not used to a level is a quick way to lose several buy ins.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Sitting down at any table with 5 players that are of equal skill or better than you is just silly. Period.

Find a table with 2 - 3 terrible players and 2 tags and you will improve just the same but will actualy make money.

I dont understand the logic behind it.
Closed Thread