Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Default BB Middle Pair Dilema

This is a $3 rebuy sat to the $650 WSOP qualifier, and there's 3 seats available. Final 2 tables, 17 players remaining.

I've been playing with villian in this hand for about 3 orbits since moving to the final 2 tables. I've seen him limp several times, and the only real flop bets I've seen him make were 1/2-3/4 of the pot, be it a cont bet, checked to him on the flop, or when he made a hand. Seemed like a decent player for this tourney at least.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t36938)
MP3 (t31560)
CO (t62936)
Button (t37296)
SB (t6178)
Hero (t31180)
UTG (t92268)
UTG+1 (t37327)
MP1 (t82064)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t3000, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t7200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t24000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ? </font>

After he made that bet I was kicking myself for not betting out on the flop, although the reason I didn't is because I knew I couldn't call a reraise. My plan was for him to fire out a 4-5k bet (my read was that he would do that with any holding) and then come over the top, but this threw me for a loop. I really have no idea what to do here. Thanks...
Old 05-07-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: BB Middle Pair Dilema

Fold and wait for a better spot. You indicated in your post that you werent going to call a reraise allin anyway, so consider yourself lucky that you got off cheap. However, I would have come right out and bet the flop. All of your read on Villian is in circumstances where opponents were acting weak. Next time bet and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM

I agree you should have led out. That said, I don't think your plan was that bad, particularly in light of your read. But he did indeed spoil the plan.

His hugely oversized bet is suspicious. Not only is it strange on its own merits, but also given that you haven't seen him do this before. Still, I wouldn't risk the rest of my stack here. I don't think you have enough of a read to believe you're best here, given the consequences (out of tourney) if you call and you're wrong.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM

fold.