Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM

Default UI AK on Paired Flop

Havn't been playing long, but oppo seems decent, agressive but not overly so. He c/raised me off of 95o (BB) from the SB on K94r flop a few hands back with a PSB.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($143.72)
SB ($581.20)
Hero ($392)
UTG ($177.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2. UTG posts a blind of $6.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $11.

Flop: ($36) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $70</font>, Hero ????

Is this an easy fold?

Also, lets say I had KK instead of AK? How about AA? Do you push in this case? Re-raise the pot?

Thanks,
gm
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: UI AK on Paired Flop

Minraise by him is such fishy move, the thing is that you could be drawing very very thin here, you only have about $45 invested. Since there aren't any draws he could be making this with, I think you could assume to be against at least a 7, probably a J, right? Basically, if you're the best hand, you still have at least 5 to 6 outs to dodge and if you're worse, you have 6 outs in the BEST case scenario and it's highly likely you're drawing to runner runner aces or kings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think this should be easy fold. For AA/KK, I might think of calling here to see how he acts on turn, and probably try to show it down cheaply. I'm not quite sure about this though, but that minraise would make my overpair feel very uncomfortable.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:55 AM
 is offline

I always get this minraise against me when i cont. bet AK on T-T-x or J-J-x flops

I would say most of the time its midpairs or junk draws trying too see if they´re good trying to represent the T/J...I usually pop this to 150-160 and 9 times of 10 they instafold
Old 04-22-2006, 10:28 AM

i'd raise to about 16 preflop,11 just seems too little to me...

minraises are usually suspicious,and i think a minraise on the turn often signals a very strong hand,on the flop it is more often someone trying to find out where they stand-i can see something like 88,66,etc doing this,knowing you'll be scared of the Jacks if you don't have one (i'm not saying this is good play,but it happens a lot)

the only problem here is that you don't even have a pair and also that some people would play a Jack this way,in which case you're in trouble...

i do think the jack is unlikely though,so what i might do if i felt like i wanted to assert myself is call the minraise,then
-if the turn is a blank and he bets again,fold
-if its a blank and he checks,bet 3/4 of the pot
-if i hit an A or K and he checks then check and call his bet on the river
-if i hit an A or K on the turn and he bets i don't really know what to do,i suppose it'd depend on how much...

the thing i like about this line is that (on the flop anyway)its probably how i'd play AJ/KJ,and he's got to be worried about that,so i think there's a good chance he gives up once you call on the flop...also,i dont like folding to a minraise,it makes me look very weak,and you are getting good odds,not just to improve,but also just to see a turn which he might well check allowing you to take it away from him...

in reality if i was playing this hand i'd probably just fold to be honest,but looking at it now i think this might be a good line to take,i'll be curious to see what others think though...might be a case of FPS...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 AM

it's player dependent.

Given my image, I'd 3-bet this and take it down most of the time.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's player dependent.

Given my image, I'd 3-bet this and take it down most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much will you 3b?