Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
So I hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

That occurred to me moments after I hit Post. Went to edit, accidentally hit quote instead. =/
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tax breaks for married people are so they can provide for their children.

If you're gay and want to commit yourself to another gay person for the rest of your life, that's fine... good for you. But you're not having any children and as such, shouldn't be tapping into a benefit designed for people who do.

As for the married people without children? I guess they're getting a break. But the government can't be bothered to make sure the people filing for tax refunds are even legal citizens, much less legal citizens with children... so I wouldnt expect the tax laws to change any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think you should get a break for having children. You ALREADY are. My taxes pay for schools that your children attend whether or not I have any children. One could argue that the more kids you have, the more you should be taxed.

on another note- many of the advantages that come from marriage have nothing to do with taxes.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But a child who grows up with gay parents seems more likely to decide that they feel the same way, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you developed your opinion on this. I'm fairly certain this has been studied and found to be false.

Food for thought- most gays throughout time were raised in heterosexual families being taught heterosexual role models.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think you should get a break for having children. You ALREADY are. My taxes pay for schools that your children attend whether or not I have any children. One could argue that the more kids you have, the more you should be taxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barking up the wrong tree there as well.

I send my kids to a private school because I live in Milwaukee where the government run district is an absolute disaster. 60% dropout rates, 7th graders who can't read at a 2nd grade level or write .25 as a fraction, etc etc etc.

And yet, I own my home and pay my absurdly high property taxes so the public school system can continue to produce an inferior product year after year.

You're preaching to the choir here.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Because this argument never gets old:

So the only reason you like women is because your mom loves the [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have a wife because it's the natural order of the universe. Male + Female.

But again, what the hell does this all have to do with tax breaks designed for people who are bringing forth our next generation?

You're gay, we get it. Life isn't fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG! the natural order of the universe is that humans like teh secks.
Simply because one form of this enjoyment results in procreation does not make it moraly diferent or superior in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moral relativism at its most absurd.

Go and start a society on an island that has only gays and get back to me in 70 years with a census, OK?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But a child who grows up with gay parents seems more likely to decide that they feel the same way, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you developed your opinion on this. I'm fairly certain this has been studied and found to be false.

Food for thought- most gays throughout time were raised in heterosexual families being taught heterosexual role models.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could anyone trust a social scientist studying this today? It's a firing offense to submit the 'wrong' results, a failed hypothesis, on this subject. Buh bye tenure.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Go and start a society on an island that has only gays and get back to me in 70 years with a census, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... irrelevent. No one is suggesting starting a society. Everyone in a society does not need to reproduce.

Regarding gays and children- Gay parents can adopt and raise children to which they should receive the same tax breaks as any other parent.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How could anyone trust a social scientist studying this today? It's a firing offense to submit the 'wrong' results, a failed hypothesis, on this subject. Buh bye tenure.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest... I'm not sure what you're saying here.

You offered your opinion that gay parents are more likely to raise a gay child. There's no evidence to support this. I cannot cite a reference at the moment but I was reading about this a few years ago and I'm pretty certain they've studied children raised by gay parents and found that the majority of them, as expected, grow up straight.

My point of pointing out that pretty much all gay people have been raised in families with heterosexual role models was to reinforce the notion that one is taught to be gay.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... irrelevent. No one is suggesting starting a society. Everyone in a society does not need to reproduce.

Regarding gays and children- Gay parents can adopt and raise children to which they should receive the same tax breaks as any other parent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad someone finally came out and said this.

There are only TWO situations that can arise with adoption:

1) You adopt from the foster care system, in which case there is ALREADY a system in place that offers government financial assistance for the adopting parent(s).

2) You adopt a brand new pink one from an unwed mother who enters her name into the system as a potential newborn adoptee. In THIS case, you have to come up with anywhere from $5000 to $40000 out of pocket to go through this process. If you have that kind of money to pay for a baby, you don't need a small tax break from the government per annum.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad someone finally came out and said this.

There are only TWO situations that can arise with adoption:

1) You adopt from the foster care system, in which case there is ALREADY a system in place that offers government financial assistance for the adopting parent(s).

2) You adopt a brand new pink one from an unwed mother who enters her name into the system as a potential newborn adoptee. In THIS case, you have to come up with anywhere from $5000 to $40000 out of pocket to go through this process. If you have that kind of money to pay for a baby, you don't need a small tax break from the government per annum.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of hard to believe, but your posts are going downhill fast. I would have thought you proclaiming that you don't want the tax code to subsidize someone's sexuality (while openly supporting the code that support's someone's sexuality) was about rock bottom, but apparently there was room further south.