Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Summer Grilling Thread

It's that time of the year again. I've been trying to eat healthier with more protein lately, but running out of ideas for cooking meat in a tasty way. I just bought a Foreman grill, so any tips about cooking with that would be great. I made steak with the Foreman today, but it kind of tasted like liver (just salt and pepper seasoning). Also, I tried to make a chicken marinade from the Foreman manual. I added vinegar, red cooking wine, lemon juice, mustard powder, paprika. Not bad, but a bit too dry for my liking.

Also, feel free to discuss anything related to grilling. Recipes, expert advice, trip reports are all good! Finally, some old threads about the subject as background material for noobs.
bbq places
marinades
memorial day weekend grilling
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Summer Grilling Thread

[ QUOTE ]
cooking meat in a tasty way. I just bought a Foreman grill

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Foreman grill for convenience? I never could cook chicken very well with the foreman either and just used it to cook a quick hamburger. Making sure not to overcook meats and finding marinades / spices you like is the key. It seems much easier, tastier, and just as healthy to cook on a gas grill.

As for chicken, I like to give it a coat of cajun spices and throw it on the gas grill with some asparagus / zucchini / squash. This is a good healthy meal very quick. I also like to marinate chicken breasts in Gates BBQ sauce which I think is better than the national brands. If I'm not eating healthy, I will put diced tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, and honey mustard (mayo + grey poupon + honey) on top and then melt it under cheddar/monterey jack cheese.

It is key with chicken to watch it carefully when it is close to being done to make sure it doesn't dry out. Take it off once you think it's done (juices start to run clear) cut it open and throw it back on if it still has some pink.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM

Guys, just by teh weber smoky mountain and go here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

you will have a BBQ epiphany. I cant even explain it.

PS 20lb bags of charcoal are 3$ at homedepot right now.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, just by teh weber smoky mountain and go here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

you will have a BBQ epiphany. I cant even explain it.

PS 20lb bags of charcoal are 3$ at homedepot right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

concur
Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Isura, you can't go wrong with using Italian dressing as a marinade for chicken breasts. You can add a little bit of worcestershire sauce to the mix if you like, but Italian dressing is enough by itself. This is my go to when I'm looking to throw some chicken breasts on the grill for a quick and easy meal. The brand I use is Wishbone Robusto Italian (obv). Just marinate the breasts for at least 30 minutes and cook the chicken over high heat on your grill to sear the meat and then reduce the heat and cook until juices run clear when pierced with a fork. I like to cook several at a time because they make great leftovers for sandwiches, salads, etc.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] @ at a Foreman grill being mentioned in a summer grilling thread.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] @ at a Foreman grill being mentioned in a summer grilling thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in an apartment, so a proper bbq is not really feasible. Can you recommend a small one that could fit in a 10 foot balcony?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, that's one of those "Maybe I shouldn't be the one to start this thread..." sort of moments.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in an apartment, so a proper bbq is not really feasible. Can you recommend a small one that could fit in a 10 foot balcony?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokey Joe
Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, that's one of those "Maybe I shouldn't be the one to start this thread..." sort of moments.

[/ QUOTE ]

feel free to start your own treatise on the subject. I started this thread to learn, not teach.