Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 AM

Default $6.50 Q9s Bubble - OK Push?

I just want to make sure if this push was correct. Id also like to know if completing the sb was ok as well. thanks.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t160 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t2035)
BB (t4795)
UTG (t2690)
Button (t3980)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t160, Button calls t160, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t640) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1875 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t1875, UTG folds, Button folds.

Turn: (t4390) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4390) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4390
Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: $6.50 Q9s Bubble - OK Push?

I don't like completing that much pf but it can't be really bad.

On the flop, you have a nice stack for a c/r IMO. I'll do that.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 AM

I don't like the complete here because if the BB pushes (which a decent BB will with any two decent cards) you have lost 80 chips and you are already the lowest stack.

With two limpers and only one player behind you I think this is a very nice time to push all-in and steal.

With the logic that if they have a hand better than Q9s they will call your all-in on the flop ANYWAY but you may push out any other bad hand (such as the BB who might have 69o) that can get lucky on you.

I think pushing the flop after completing pre-flop is bad, simply because no hand worse than you calls and all hands better than you do.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 AM

well my thought on the completion was its 4% of my stack with an above average hand. if the BB does indeed push, im not hurting by any means when i fold with 11.5BB. i didnt think it was necessary to push since we still have a 12BB stack.. i got called by J8o, so he had top pair, but after running it in a calculator, i was still a 57% favorite after the flop. even if i get called by a hand like A8 with him holding the Ace of clubs im still a favorite, so i really didnt mind a call in this situation at all, but would be happy to just take the pot down now. is my thinking skewed at all?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 AM

IMO you shouldn't be thinking "it's only 4% of my stack", think "it's 4% of my stack!"

Personally I never complete pre-flop because you gain no information. You don't push out hands like J8o and you have no idea WHAT you're pushing against when you push on the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the complete here because if the BB pushes (which a decent BB will with any two decent cards) you have lost 80 chips and you are already the lowest stack.

With two limpers and only one player behind you I think this is a very nice time to push all-in and steal.

With the logic that if they have a hand better than Q9s they will call your all-in on the flop ANYWAY but you may push out any other bad hand (such as the BB who might have 69o) that can get lucky on you.

I think pushing the flop after completing pre-flop is bad, simply because no hand worse than you calls and all hands better than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player is going to push all in for 25 BB with any two cards after three limpers? Really? That sounds kind of exploitable. Also sounds kind of insane.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO you shouldn't be thinking "it's only 4% of my stack", think "it's 4% of my stack!"

Personally I never complete pre-flop because you gain no information. You don't push out hands like J8o and you have no idea WHAT you're pushing against when you push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares what youre pushing against? Unless an opponent has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] were behind but drawing super live if we get called.

OP, I think youre right, I like how you played the hand (although I think you may have wanted to think about C/R the flop).
Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so are you saying i should have just folded it pre-flop? also, with me completing the sb, and seeing the flop, and seeing the texture of the flop, was the push ok, thats really what i would like to know.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Completing pf is far from bad with Q9s. Any worse and it's a fold, but it's a good hand to take a flop with. Easy CRAI for me on the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so are you saying i should have just folded it pre-flop? also, with me completing the sb, and seeing the flop, and seeing the texture of the flop, was the push ok, thats really what i would like to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying I would have folded it pre-flop but maybe I am just a nit.

But once you completed with Q9s and you hit your draw, the push is fine. If you are going to play Q9s and NOT push when you hit your draw then why play it?