Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 03:59 AM

Default major differences b/w tourney and cash strategy???

i'm primarily a low limit SNG $2-5 player... when my roll permits i play $10's... also i multi on the 2.20 and 6.50 bounties and haven't really gotten my roll high enough to play in the 20+'s consistenly due to cashouts and stuff...

i've read tons of books (10+), these forums, and numerous cardplayers, all ins, bluffs, etc...

i know that cash game strategy differs from tournament play but i was just wondering if some people could voluntarily outline some of the major differences b/w games for me...
(also i've theoretically heard that too many players out there play a tourney strategy for cash games and i was wondering how true this really holds)

so, any volunteered info on this in general would be great... but i'm posting with a few specific questions in mind....

1. in tourneys, an AK preflop raise... it's OK to check a flop like K83 with the idea that nobody hit the flop and the redraws are remote possibilities.... does this hold in cash games or should u jam more money into the pot (and generally how much... 1/2 pot 2/3 pot or pot bet)

2. where would you like your stack size to be in relation to the blinds when "gambling" with suited connectors and what odds would you like to see when you play them (4+ limpers and/or greater than an M of 15?) and how much of a factor does position play in these decisions.

3. is flopping the nuts a check or an automatic probe bet into a field that showed strength and/or no strength by raising preflop.

i'd llike to think i've been running horribly bad lately and that it's affecting how i even think about the game from a certain point of view.... ex... flopped top 2 pr w/ AXs....vs mid set (and the reraising war on the flop).... the UTG limp w/ AA when i knew an aggro guy would raise and he did and i stuck him w/ JJ and on a flop of 10 hi he didn't cbet or valuebet... then i shove 50 on top of my 50PF limp raise and he turns a 2 outer.... anyways this should almost be in the BBV forum if i talk about this anymore... so i'll spare you cuz u've all been there...

anyways, this whole insecurity issue i'm having all stems from me being a pretty nitty (and i'd like to think sophisticated) player who almost can't play down to the normal weekend warriors level at times. i'd like to say that i play at level 2-3 and have some troubles w/ people who seem like they are at half of what a level 1 player would be... i.e., they can't even play their own cards right sometimes.

if i'm vague, sorry.... some things i just don't get. and i'm really trying to boost my game over this hump that seems to prevent me from winning at a 1/2 NL BM game.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: major differences b/w tourney and cash strategy???

Wrong forum. SHIP IT.