Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Stars 30/60 - QQ

UTG is almost a 30/20 over a not-so-large sample of hands (maybe something like 28/19). I'm new to the site, as well as this table (a couple orbits or something), but from what I can see, he's definitely an aggro player.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero?

What do I do here, and why? Do I bet trying to get value from mid pockets? Do I check behind and call a river bet? If I do bet, and get CRed, am I showing it down UI?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: Stars 30/60 - QQ

Let's imagine you bet the turn, get checkriased, and 3bet. With what range do you think he 4bets?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's imagine you bet the turn, get checkriased, and 3bet. With what range do you think he 4bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we 3-betting? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do I do here, and why? Do I bet trying to get value from mid pockets? Do I check behind and call a river bet? If I do bet, and get CRed, am I showing it down UI?

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like a super easy check behind. You can't fold to a checkraise drawing to the second nut flush. You have very little to be concerned with regarding free cards in a 5 BB pot. If he he has a pocket pair he has either 1 or 2 outs depending on if he has a diamond. If he has a king high hand you are also unconcerned. You are equally likely to get your desired value from a smaller pocket pair by checking the turn. If the river blanks he may bluff or call you down trying to pick off your king high hand.

His hand looks much more like an ace high hand anyway since a pocket pair from an aggro player usually puts in some action on this flop.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we 3-betting? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering that as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This looks like a super easy check behind. You can't fold to a checkraise drawing to the second nut flush. You have very little to be concerned with regarding free cards in a 4 BB pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is spot on. The pot is small, so let's keep it that way and use Villian's aggression against him on the river.

If you end up betting and get c/r'd, then you have to make a good read and play poker on the river. Showing down UI depends a lot on whether you've seen him get out of line a bit too often (despite small sample) and whether you're afraid of having him take shots at you later.

-blake
Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Considering that you will very often lose two bets when behind, and win only one when ahead (and I doubt he calls this when you're ahead very often anyways), I think you have to check.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand looks much more like an ace high hand anyway since a pocket pair from an aggro player usually puts in some action on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very, very good point. This is what I completely missed when I was playing the hand. Here's the rest of the hand.

River: (8.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero..?

What about if the river had blanked?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Yeah, the problem is that he's folding a lot of hands we beat and checkraising almost every hand we don't beat. I think checking behind is the best play.

IF we decide to bet and IF we decide we're going to call down if checkraised a 3bet is ok imo. A fourth diamond will freeze him on river a lot, so if we 3bet the turn we're winning an extra bet the times we're behind and catch up while losing the same number of bets the times we're behind. Mostly.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 AM

yeah, the 3bet of the CR is correct. Of course, the chk behind is better for reasons listed.