Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Is France serious about attacking Iran?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM

What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Before the meal, after the meal, and in between meals.

My favorite ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reblochon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_%28cheese%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomme_de_Savoie_cheese

Never found Beaufort in the USA though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing, someone asked my French professor which version of French did the French find more attractive, British or American, and she said that in general American and that people think that the British are snobs and speak French in that snobbish tone. She's obviously just talking about a general stereotype and has nothing against British people.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 AM

hi manub/any other eurotravel experts:

my friend went to paris for a year because of work.
i plan on visiting him within the next four months and would like to plan a two-week long trip.
i would like to visit other countries in europe and see cool touristy things.
i will arrange for my own plane ticket.

i would like to know:
what are some great places to visit in france?
if you have traveled europe, what are some great places to visit outside of france?
are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?
are there any tours that take you to the alps for a couple days?
where can i go to sign-up for these and how much do they cost?
should i go in december/january/february/march?
will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

thanks!
fuji
Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend doing an organized tour. You'll want to be flexible with your plans.

Two weeks isn't a lot of time, especially if you plan on spending a large chunk of your time in Paris (which you should definitely consider).

A Eurail Pass sounds ideal for you if you plan on doing 5+ days of travel outside of Paris. I think that spending a week or so in Paris, followed by maybe two or three other cities in other countries might work well. If you could possibly extend your stay to three weeks, you'd have a much better shot at seeing Germany, Italy, the south of France, and possibly Spain.

[ QUOTE ]

will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'll be treated poorly, but you'll instantly be marked as a tourist, and it's very possible that you'll feel out of place. If you're comfortable with that, then go for it.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 AM

shilly

is it pretty easy/safe to figure out train routes and also finding places to stay, eat, see?

thanks.
fuji
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shilly

is it pretty easy/safe to figure out train routes and also finding places to stay, eat, see?

thanks.
fuji

[/ QUOTE ]

Train schedules are very easy to find online, and will be included with your pass if you decide to buy one.

Keep in mind that you need to make a reservation on most trains that run between major hubs--this usually requires a small supplement (around 10 Euros), and should be done one or two days in advance. While trains might not be the cheapest way to travel (booking flights far in advance can be incredibly inexpensive), you get the flexibility of changing your plans, seeing the countryside, and the benefit of traveling directly into the city center (whereas most flights arrive pretty far outside of each city).

If you're planning on going with hostels, you shouldn't have trouble booking those a few days in advance, or simply showing up and checking for availability. I use hostelbookers.com, but hostelworld.com is good also. There's lots of options here.

As far as places to eat and things to see, I'd recommend picking up some sort of travel guide for the region that you'll be traveling to. I highly recommend the "Let's Go" series, as it's geared toward younger people/students. I know that there's a Western Europe edition out there. You can also ask your friends, or people you run into during your travels--they tend to give great advice and lead you to places you wouldn't have found on your own.