Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Vegas in July nuts? Too hot?

I got an offer for a free stay from Harrahs and it coincides with my birthday, plus I get a free seat into a WSOP 2008 satellite. As a guy from the midwest am I going to fry out there in July? Will I even be able to be outside if I'm not in a pool before sunset??

Also, can anyone tell me if the craps and blackjack that Flamingo now offers outside are swim up? It would allow me to keep wife happy and still gamble.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Vegas in July nuts? Too hot?

I come from the middle of Canada and am as fair skinned as you can get and I survived being their last July. Just bring lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water. It is really hot, even at night, but bearable.

I would avoid trying to do a big walking tour of the strip at 2pm though.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM

I'm in Canada too. We were there last August and loved it! It is hot, but it really is true what they say about the lack of humidity. Give me 100 and dry heat over 85 and muggy any day!

We hit the pool area early every morning and had to go by 11am or so...really started to roast.

Nothing like sucking on cans of Bud Light at 9am...God Bless America!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:24 PM

In July, you should expect highs from 105 to 115. You should simmply plan on indoor activities from noon to sunset.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM

I've lived in Kansas City for almost all of my life and the humidity there in the summer is absolutely devastating. Vegas may get slightly hotter than Kansas City but it doesn't feel nearly as bad to me... just need to drink a lot of water.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got an offer for a free stay from Harrahs and it coincides with my birthday, plus I get a free seat into a WSOP 2008 satellite. As a guy from the midwest am I going to fry out there in July? Will I even be able to be outside if I'm not in a pool before sunset??

Also, can anyone tell me if the craps and blackjack that Flamingo now offers outside are swim up? It would allow me to keep wife happy and still gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink LOTS of water. You can dehydrate fast in such a dry and hot environment.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In July, you should expect highs from 105 to 115. You should simmply plan on indoor activities from noon to noon.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In July, you should expect highs from 105 to 115. You should simmply plan on indoor activities from noon to noon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. With the low humidity and a little tiny breeze, once the sun goes down it's pretty pleasant outside at 9pm even if it's still 95F. I also hail from the midwest and in general I prefer Vegas summers. The lack of humidity is all-important. But I agree, noon to sunset isn't adequately encompassing--more like 9am to sunset.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM

You'll be fine in Vegas, just use common sense. If anything, it isn't the heat you should be worried about; it's the significant temperature difference between being outdoors and the AC cranked to the max indoors.

Re: Humid vs. dry heat...

I guess it depends on what heat you think is more bearable: a sauna or a furnace.

In my opinion, heat is heat regardless of the relative humidity. I've been in Vegas in August and I've been on the South Carolina coast in August. Yes, it is a different heat, but I didn't find one heat more comfortable than the other.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 PM

110 in Vegas feels better than 90 here in NC because of the lack of humidity. I actually enjoy the summer heat in Vegas.