Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Any advice?

I have been playing for about 6 months mainly SNGs and MTTs doing ok i think. I've read the harrington books which were very useful.

Anyway I recently deposited $50 and managed to get it up to $160 through mainly $2 and a few $5 45 man SNGs. I then decided to try cash games (mainly too high for my BR) and eventually went bust.

I'm planning to try and build up a new BR starting with a deposit of $100. Should i stick to the SNGs and ocassional MTT exclusively? or would it be ok to try and learn more about cash games through micro stakes or something?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Any advice?

If you think you can beat the small SNGs then keep playing them along with the occasionally uNL cash table. This way your SNG profits will buffer your potential cash game losses.

Lucky
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 PM

As you have found out Cash Games are a very different animal to Sng's & MTT's. As a beginner i would stick with something that you are good at, that you know you can beat. If you want to learn cash (and i believe that is where the real $$ are) then you should play the lowest cash games possible and put in 1000's of hands until you beat it. then move up to the next level and repeat the process.

Bankroll management is key to surviving online poker. You may feel you are getting nowhere but if you use this site + other books (harrington is mainly tournament poker) you will be improving in no time. Keep honest records. If you have the spare cash buy Pokertracker to analyse your results.

Its a common theme beginners that build a small roll on SNG's Mtt's then blow it on a few cash games.

You can also make good cash though SNG's without the cash games but i wouldnt be playing too much of both while you are learning. Pick one and go with it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM

There are many ways of going about this. The best, short and sweet answer, would be to play what's most comfortable with you.

If you prefer the 'action' of cash games more than MTTs or SNGs, then you should be playing cash games. If you prefer to play more analytical, slower type games, then SNGs and MTTs are for you. Many people do not have the patience to sit down at the computer, and play for say 2 hours, to win a SNG or MTT (even longer). This is what it was for me - I began with SNGs, but realized I didn't have the patience or time really to sit down for hours at a time just to play one set of SNGs, so I switched to cash games, still sitting at hours at a time maybe, but knew I could sit out or stand from the tables and take a break when need be, etc. etc.

As well as comfortability, it is what you're best at. If you win consistently at the $2/$5 45mans, why not just play those if you consistently profit at them? When you work it back up to say $200, maybe when you're playing SNG(s?..multitable?) throw in a table of NL2 or NL5 and try and learn the basics of cash games. This could be a bit difficult though playing a cash game and a SNG/MTT at the same time, but do-able.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Thanks very much for the replys, very helpful
Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 AM

comfortability is a must need at anything you play. if i can't conform to comfortability then my whole game corrodes and if i don't run(literally) away from the computer i'll most likely go on a destructive path of tiltage. or worse...life tilt. weeeeeee=no fun, in that case

about the hundo starting BR...no rush, no worries and enjoy the moments within the moments.(something like that)