Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Default poker genius / donkey - u decide

1st level of $5+0.50 stars mtt 1119 entrants

I felt like i'd played this brilliantly at the time - so i told my mate just how good i am, but he didn't agree.

Interested in more opinions.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
HERO: t3160
UTG+1: t1310
MP1: t2050
MP2: t1280
MP3: t3090
CO: t2040
Button: t1320
SB: t1420
BB: t920

Pre-flop: (9 players) HERO is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t90)</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to t120</font>, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to t360</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to t800</font>, HERO folds.
Uncalled bets: t440 returned to MP3.

Results:
Final pot: t810

i told him i was folding QQ, and asked him to show. He showed KK.

fair enough, i put the 3rd raise in, got the info i was asking for - got off the hand.

My mate likes calling the rr and playing poker, but is happy to push all-in over the re-raise in a $5 tourney

wot do u think and why?

and let's do a poll - cause they're cool
Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: poker genius / donkey - u decide

you need one more option - standard, id vote for that

in a 5.50, the clear majority of the time, only KK/AA is taking that line. AK is not making small reraises, theyre shoving all in most of the time to the 3bet. and JJ and less is calling the 3bet

another option is playing for set value, which is prob ok too, since you know about what he has and youll bust him on a Q high flop
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM

you gotta reraise there, since it was only a miniraise. but with that said, if he had made a 4x raise, i think the correct play is just calling
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM

It's an honour to be counted among your mates. I said I'd probably shove in a $5 MTT but that was before I noticed the double stacks. As it is, we can't call a five bet and he's somewhat defined his range so I'd rather call, check call any flop and then give it some thought on the turn.
Obviously, we're shutting down with overcards but he'll do the same on an ace high flop, after betting. This way, for the same cost, we get four cards to make a set and we haven't defined our hand so he'll stack off on a q high board. Obviously, we can go broke on a low flop, but we don't 'have to', especially if we're so scared/suspicious of the minraise that we're prepared spend 360 finding out where we stand.

If the idiot is going to let you in cheap, take that happily. And don't assume that you must ship all of your 150BBs everytime you flop an overpair.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM

I push here in a 5$MTT with 1100 entrants. Some of the players in these fields are just... wow.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM

i keep wondering why high stakes players always say "shove xxx in a 5 dollar tourney" yes there is merit to it, but not every time. in a 5.5, a guy taking this line has KK/AA 80-90% of the time. every other hand usually is either flatcalling the 3 bet or shoving it
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i keep wondering why high stakes players always say "shove xxx in a 5 dollar tourney" yes there is merit to it, but not every time. in a 5.5, a guy taking this line has KK/AA 80-90% of the time. every other hand usually is either flatcalling the 3 bet or shoving it

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, it's because I'm an idiot. And I've never won or probably even FT-ed a &lt;$20 NLHE MTT.
But it's also because the big stack will be disproportinately useful, I'm not going to be able to concentrate, because people min-raise all sorts of crap and call pushes with it.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM

in my experience, 3k is more than enough at break, and sets up for a good hour 2 double up spot...

it might jus be an idiot with TT, but i think its KK/AA enough to justify not shoving
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM

I call and play for set value- but I've done your line once before as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't assume that you must ship all of your 150BBs everytime you flop an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - i need help with this