Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Question and Survey About Gardening/Landscaping

Yes, we bought transplants. We started too late in the season to begin with seed, besides, we're new at this and didn't want to get too discouraged too quickly.

Our veggie garden box is a guerrilla garden, meaning we don't own that property [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's below our apartment in an unlandscaped area. It was landscaped at one time years ago because the sprinklers still water it. (The maintenance people have seen it but no one's done anything to harm it or told us to get rid of it.)

And yes, we brought in soil. The desert land is really very clay-like and practically impossible to penetrate. So we just "built up" as they say. We framed the box in redwood (about $50 for materials) and filled with Pay Dirt from Star ($60 or so). Each plant was a buck or two, so the total project cost under $150.

We needed to make it relatively inexpensive in case someone destroys it. We're doing it mostly as a hobby and to prepare for our future home. Ed is really enjoying it. He gets all excited when the leaves turn direction or when there's a new pepper.

The peppers do really well. We also have some herbs on the porch in containers. The basil is incredible! It grows like a weed. We have cilantro, lavender, thyme, oregano... they ALL do well!

We've also been growing wheat grass. This is for our cats to chew. They really enjoy it. We have catnip on the patio for them, too. They like it.

Our only failures so far are the strawberries. We had them in a container on the patio and they are ruined. THey look like they got some sort of fungus. We're not sure what happened to them. Oh, and we had some rosemary that we over watered and drowned. The new rosemary is fine.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid, I thought working in the garden an onerous chore, but now that I'm in my dotage I find that I enjoy trying to make things grow. I think there might be some interest in a gardening thread. The posters are from such a wide variety of regions that they might be interested in what others are doing.

I live in an area with 10" of rain a year, so I'm interested in xeriscaping (my plumbago is blooming like crazy). I've been following your projects in your blog and hope that your garden survived the storm...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! Lots of leaves fell off of the gypsy pepper plant, but they had brown spots before the storm, so I'm not sure what caused them to fall. The brown spots can be so many things (bacteria caused by dry, hot wind and too much sun seems to be the most likely cause, imo). The plant is still producing, though, so who knows!

I lost one more okra plant and I think the habanero is toast, but it was toast before the storm.

The squash seems to love the horrible conditions. It thrives and actually looks more healthy after some catastrophe, lol. Go figure.

If you want some xeriscaping links, feel free to PM me. Arizona sent me a ton of free stuff, and maybe Texas has some kind of program, too. Some states even send you the plants for free!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll link to some pics, but don't click them unless you have good eyes and don't suffer from vertigo or some other eye problem, because they look really blurry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cherry Tomatoes
Squash
Adobe Bricks (made out of our soil, water and chopped up tumbleweeds)

Old 05-29-2006, 01:35 PM

have you considered any types of aquaculture? i have been thinking bout a small family community built around dehydrating fruits veggies and meats and also snail, shrimp, talapia and kelp for utilizing the water extra times. stock tanks are inexpensive, and bamboo can grow fast for a windbreak if you have water...and bamboo is also great for making attractive shade screen poles...much prettier than pvc piping.

you could be getting some kind of wind turbine if you want to use that pesky wind; is that allowed?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 PM

my gardens are just getting going up here in northern montana. but the asparagus is coming in by the handfuls every other day. i share the garden with weeds and mice as much of it is mulched with about four or more inches of leaves and hay. that keeps the ground moist at all times under it and doesnt let it dry out and get rock hard. the mulch turns to soil each year and makes it good growing without any fertizers or herbisides. the bugs are no problem as the plants are healthy and healthy plants resist bugs. miracle gorwn ones dont do so well in that regard.
my sweet corn is going gangbusters and is about 4 inches high. that is great as you usually cant plant it till june first. global warming seems to have moved up our growing season two weeks. tonight rhubard strawberry pie.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you considered any types of aquaculture? i have been thinking bout a small family community built around dehydrating fruits veggies and meats and also snail, shrimp, talapia and kelp for utilizing the water extra times. stock tanks are inexpensive, and bamboo can grow fast for a windbreak if you have water...and bamboo is also great for making attractive shade screen poles...much prettier than pvc piping.

you could be getting some kind of wind turbine if you want to use that pesky wind; is that allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Great suggestions, thank you.

These are things I have been looking into. If I can build some type of cistern with a small amount of gray water and use it to grow bamboo, that might work. I have read of others doing it.

As far as wind turbines, since we only have an acre, I have a feeling my neighbors might not go for it (the sound). I have heard that new turbines with less noise are constantly being developed. I will keep checking up on it and also call some of the city and/or county offices in our area to see regulations for something like this.

Solar panels would be ideal, but right now our electric system is triple dipping and basically taking horrible advantage of those who choose to install solar. I'm waiting for the government to stop them from this practice before investing in solar.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:37 PM

you might also consider a propane tank and a few appiances that use it as a back up to electric. if ever electric goes out you can heat, cook and run things without anyone else suppling it to you. i keep a 1000 gallon tank full, a little overkill but will provide a years worth of heat and cooking without the need for electricity.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you might also consider a propane tank and a few appiances that use it as a back up to electric. if ever electric goes out you can heat, cook and run things without anyone else suppling it to you. i keep a 1000 gallon tank full, a little overkill but will provide a years worth of heat and cooking without the need for electricity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Ray! I wish Glenn would get the solar oven working again. The bum! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I never heard back from you about my 2nd Stud theory post, btw. It must be really baaaad! Just remember, I learned everything from you!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 PM

if you are talking propane, you might consider methane. if it takes too much space, that is a bummer, but theoretically, it should be a great way of finishing up the last of recycling.

also, 12 volt can be run parallel to 110 volt electricity plugs and wires. almost everything can run better on 12 volt or less, because you don't have to deal with the wasted heat.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 AM

Homemade bricks. That is so sweet.