Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 AM

Default Dogville

I'd like to hear thoughts on the film. I watched it a couple of months ago and for some reason I just thought of it again. This isn't a review, but I'd like for someone else to do one.

The way the film is shot and set up is definitely worth talking about but it didn't really interest me too much as I'm not a filmie. I do think it's impressive that after a while I stopped noticing that there weren't any walls or buildings, it really didn't get in the way of the storytelling. I'm not sure whether that's a credit to the acting (I think the acting is incredible in this one, with the exception of James Caan dialing in his performance) or the directing, but it's impressive.

The themes and ideas behind the movie were most interesting to me. Lars von Trier clearly has a lot to say about human nature, it definitely got me thinking. I can grasp the gut of what he's getting at, but I feel like maybe it's deeper than I realize.

Anyway, I'm curious about what other people thought of this movie.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Dogville

I think it's less deep than you realize. Dogville was the first movie in a trilogy series entitled "USA - Land of Opportunities." I believe his aim is to expose his view of the real America. The second installment "Manderlay," was released last year and received better reviews than Dogville. Supposedly Lars has postponed the third movie "Washington" because "he is not mature enough."

SPOILERS!

Dogville was interesting. I have to say I enjoyed it. In the beginning, I couldn't believe I was going to watch an entire movie filmed on a soundstage with limited props and chalk lines indicating where homes were supposed to be. In the middle, about when things start to get ugly, I realized he was simply turning "Our Town" on its head to show the true nature of small town America. At that point, I was loving the movie. In the end, I felt he prolonged her misery too long and his condemnation was a little too harsh. The Depression Era photos set to "Young Americans" certainly confirmed that feeling. The only character in the movie with any morals, Tom, was completely pitiful, and I felt the movie's message might have been more effective if there had been at least a few admirable, redeemable characters. He swung the pendulum too far the other way, but perhaps that was necessary?

I plan to see Manderlay, but not for a while. From now on it's only one Von Trier movie per year at most. I tried to watch Dancer in the Dark a few days after Dogville and turned it off after about 10 minutes.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:46 PM

Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM

i loved it but its been a long time since i saw it. i think i just liked the themes of the story. the set was interesting too. i think i remember the director's commentary being good too.