Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

Wazz, Of course the meta game stuff is what makes poker interesting. I was referring to the specific game mechanics/skill/understanding of the game/struggling to find the right phrase stuff. Most of the chess giants started as children. Backgammon pro's typically practice, not play, but practice, as if it were a full time job. You just don't need that dedication to get the basics of poker. And these basics are much less important than the meta game stuff.

I know, and I'm sure you do too, several old time live pros that have a pretty bad understanding of the "game" of poker but their temperament relative to their foes is so much better that they end up winners anyway.

gl

bdd
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Janelle - some people find it easier than others to blank out emotion from their game, and this is certainly a desirable skill, but if you're vaguely in control of your own psychology it's not a huge mistake to allow yourself to be emotionally affected by results, as long as you can dissociate your play from your emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am definately trying to make sure I don't mess up my poker but bringing in my emotions into the game. I think by forcing myself to reflect on my play and remove myself from the game I will take control again.

I think it is particularly hard for me because I am really new still and it is easy for me to forget how I don't have much experience. All of you have years of this and so you been there and done that... whereas I am just reading it and not living it and feeling it until now. I think I will get to a point where I can learn to control my poker playing and my life... I just need time.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is best played in these states of mind mostly approaching boredom and apathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I like poker and don't want to be bored by it or have apathy. I think it is possible to [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] it and enjoy it. Isn't it? Or does everyone feel like this is the way it has to be?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM

If you want to be a donkament player then you can certainly let your emotions run free reign. Read some of the (excellent) stuff my Tommy Angelo - he has a website with a lot of archive stuff. Also watch an episode of High Stakes Poker and see how much emotion a Barry Greenstein or Patrik Antonious show before, during and after a hand. Then watch Mike Matusow or Phil Hellmuth. Then decide what kind of player you want to be.

gl

bdd
Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Well said BDD.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be a donkament player then you can certainly let your emotions run free reign. Read some of the (excellent) stuff my Tommy Angelo - he has a website with a lot of archive stuff. Also watch an episode of High Stakes Poker and see how much emotion a Barry Greenstein or Patrik Antonious show before, during and after a hand. Then watch Mike Matusow or Phil Hellmuth. Then decide what kind of player you want to be.

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

Will read TA like you said Dave. I think although I am emotional I am nothing like Mike Matusow or Phil Hellmuth. I don't have a whole rant lol in chat when I get bad beat. I am in good about controling that type of tilt behavior, but I did work myself up over the whole FTOPS thing and that was, in retrospect, a bad idea.

I get a little overtly excited sometimes. I am extremely passionate. Usually always in a positve way.

I wanted to win it so badly. I set myself up for a big disappointment. I think I can learn to deal with losing much better if I do look at it more as a hobby then a competition or something I MUST succeed at.

I am feeling much better. My bf lol of all people really helped me on the whole poker topic. He isn't a big fan of it or me playing it, but remarkably he said something that really changed my attitude about it. He said, "What do you care if you lose all your poker money. It is all profit isn
't it? It is not like you have any expenses or are expected to pay for school."

This is all true. I don't even need the money right now. I realized my disappointment is not about money but about losing.

I think my disappointment is from unrealistic goals I set for myself and now I will focus on trying to have real goals which I can actually accomplish or LOL even better don't have goals. Just play the game and enjoy it like Troll said.

I think when people started telling me how good I was I felt the pressure to do extremely well because I wanted to be the best. I think if I just enjoy myself and do what I know how to do I will end up being the best over a long period of time with experience.

Your posts strike a cord with me Dave because you have a lot of experience and realize I am in the early stages of evolving into a poker player.

LOL Gordo.. I think maybe you want me to quit poker because you don't want to have to contend with me later! That is too funny I am NOT quiting poker.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

If you were a guy, you would have been flamed to death for this.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

good choice, to be a good poker player, you have to be in good condition, and it seems that you have too many things to deal with...

Poker is the part you can stop (for a time), and when your situation will be better, we'll be happy to see you again ;o) and win some donkaments!

take care, and best hope to your bf's mother .
Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's akin to me saying if I was a women, I could easily play in the WNBA. That's b.s because if I was a women I wouldn't have the same physical/emotional makeup I do now.

If she were a guy, there is very little chance this would of happened. I cannot imagine a guy breaking down and crying after losing a tournament and being berated by another player. I do think it's very understandable for a woman though.

Women don't just cry once every 6-18 months.