Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Is this standard procedure or just one of \'those\' games

OK, played in a cash game at a club last night. Good group of guys. Fun to hang out with. They have MONEY to burn.

The game starts out: 1/2 blinds ($60 buy-in ((I know..crazy)). You can bet anywhere from 2-10 bucks.

They changed it up to pot-limit after a couple of guys got sucked out on with monster hands.
I'm in a hand from the big blind where I floop 2 pair (6s and 7s) 6/7/10 flop.

There's a girl who's never played before who has a guy sitting behind her telling her (outloud) what to do. He basically tells her to double my bet. I pot it and it folds around to her/him.

He's like..oh man..fold..just fold it...one of the players walks to the bar to get a drink and says "No man..call it...call it!!"

Guy says "fold it..call...raise...just call"

She calls

she ends up hitting 2 pair (ace/10) and I'm basically stacked.

So..the question is not a bad beat story (i'm fine for people to call me with worse hands and catch up once in awhile)..

Question:
How do you play in this game, or do you?
Guy helping girl and other guy getting people to call.

Thoughts..

I really felt like my 2 pair were good on the flop based on a couple of things..

just wondering if you encounter this stuff?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Is this standard procedure or just one of \'those\' games

Tell them to STFU, learn to play by yourself or get taught somewhere that is not in a game.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 AM

They clearly aren't as serious about gambling as you are. If you continue to play in their game i dunno if you'll have any sway in determining these kind of things.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Don't worry about it. You obviously won't go on monkey tilt, so you already have a gigantic edge.

Everything they say is information for you. She got advice for every option available, and she was convinced to call with the worst hand. You will have no problem adjusting your play constantly to keep one step ahead of their perceptions.

I love players who talk. Granted, this is extreme and way more than even my chatty group would do, but since it's their game and the way they do it, use it to your advantage.

Have fun printing money!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies. There was a 'little' monkey tilt, but not much. Just really more unlucky cards (Pocket KK raised preflop max allowed ($10)..bet the pot on the flop on a Q high board a guy calls. He bets on Turn (lower card). I think for a second and muck KK up. He says good fold..If it helps, I had it on the flop. He flips over a flopped straight. The one hand with the girl just stung. I was up $350 bucks, and ended up down about that much at the end of the night.
Just cards.
I've never seen it happen this way with a guy just basically telling her what to do every step of the way (and saying it all outloud). Except, he knew it and used it all as a mind game. He's got lots of money and bought her in for $100. He's a maniac aggressive guy and was even more so because it wasn't really him playing.

She walked out with about 600-700 profit that night.

I'm ready to play again now that I'm thinking about it.

She really wasn't even technically playing. He told her what to do and she did it.

I've just got to adjust a little if he plays again.

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen it happen this way with a guy just basically telling her what to do every step of the way (and saying it all outloud). Except, he knew it and used it all as a mind game. He's got lots of money and bought her in for $100. He's a maniac aggressive guy and was even more so because it wasn't really him playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is much less kosher and I'd speak up about it, if it reoccurs
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM

Yeah, that changes things a little bit. People just yelling out stuff all the time is one thing, but somebody effectively playing two hands, not so much. Would he raise and then tell her to reraise?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM

I'd try saying something light-hearted, like "do we all get to play two hands?" or "how many people in this hand, anyway?" when he uses her as a prop next time. Gauge how reaction is. Maybe others are annoyed by it too. If everyone's all "huh? what's your beef?" then you can reevaluate if you want to play.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 PM

I assumed when the OP said the guy was "sitting behind her", that he was not in the game. If he was actually playing at the same table for himself as well, I am sure that this would be considered completely unacceptable by anyone even in the least serious of home games, certainly in any games in which it is possible to win several hundred dollars.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Oh, he wasn't playing? Then, eh, who cares? You have a bad player taking bad advice from someone who wants to look cool and put down a lot of $$$. What's the problem?