Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Hi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your pole is not up to the task. I don't consider it credible evidence given the proselytizing nature of AC hereabouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, people are lying about converting to ACism? ACers are bamboozling people into filling out web polls incorrectly?

[ QUOTE ]
My criticism was against certain pompous tactics, not AC in general (which makes a few good points). Puffing up, insulting others and leaving your business all over someone's nice thread is no way to win converts. I'd bet all my chips on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argue against the tactics all you want. The results speak for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your tacit admission of active proselytization at the expense of forum decorum only fuels the fire of more active modship I would think. I am for a laissez-fair politics forum, I don't think your statement here is particularly helpful pvn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacit admission? He called the tactics "pompus". Earlier he claimed they were uneffective, and when presented with evidence to the contrary, switched to the pomposity attack. Is pomposity necesarily a violation of some undefined standard of decorum around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

His statement also included "puffing up, insulting others and leaving your business all over another's thread", which you did not see fit to refute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry about that. I refute it. There, happy now?

Iron has been dealing with personal attacks for quite a while now. There is a whole undercurrent of "Poltics is 'uncivil'" but I'm not seeing it. Is it a tea party? No. But puffing up is not uncivil. "leaving one's business all over another's thread" is meaningless.

Unrelenting dissection of one's arguments is NOT uncivil. It is certainly offputting to some members of 2+2, but so are plenty of other forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unrelenting dissection of one's arguments may not be uncivil per se, however can be pretty damn annoying. If one is continuously attacking another's position based solely on political philosophy, all discussion would therefore necessarily be about the merits of that political philosophy. That discussion is of course vital, but it is the contention of many that the ACists insistence that the very premise of arguments must be dissected at all times has most probably resulted in being a major contributor to the current state of modding affairs.