Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Getting published

OK, so Im a second semester senior.

I've been working on this little side project for a while. Its fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work.

Im sure the standards are high, but I do believe I could put something together that is good enough to get published. Obviously, Im not going to be overly picky. Anything even remotely accredited that would take it would be more than I could ask for.

What is the best way to go about doing this?

Ive talked to a prof (GOVT) at school informally, and he liked it a lot. Should I go through him? Is there anyway to do this on my own as a senior without even a degree yet?

Any advice is appreciated
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Getting published

Personally, I'd try and get a respectable co-author if you're trying to get published with no qualifications. I think it's the best way to get what you've got looked at - imo you stand a good chance of being dismissed without any more than a cursory glance if you submit it on your own.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so Im a second semester senior.

I've been working on this little side project for a while. Its fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work.

Im sure the standards are high, but I do believe I could put something together that is good enough to get published. Obviously, Im not going to be overly picky. Anything even remotely accredited that would take it would be more than I could ask for.

Ive talked to a prof (GOVT) at school informally, and he liked it a lot. Should I go through him? Is there anyway to do this on my own as a senior without even a degree yet?

Any advice is appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Get advice from a few professors. They can pre-screen it to see what its chances are and where it should be sent and what the procedures are. A prof can relay it for you, but don't get a co-author (as bunny suggested) unless they contribute something that warrants their inclusion.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start with getting this book: amazon - 2007 Writer's Market
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that mainly for fiction/journalist type stuff?

Im talking about a scientific journal here
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that mainly for fiction/journalist type stuff?

Im talking about a scientific journal here

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I misread your post. When you said, "a biology/evolution type book," I thought that's what you were writing. There is a section on getting published in trade journals, but over-all probably not what you're looking for.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Perhaps the most important thing a prof can do for you is suggest an appropriate journal. It's not uncommon for it to take as long as a year just to find out that the editor thinks your paper would be better suited for a different journal.

I second the recommendation that you nix any suggestions of co-authorship unless they contribute to your paper significantly. Having their name on the paper won't make that big of a difference and your paper will be judged on its merits regardless of the prof (unless, perhaps, he's literally some kind of Einstein in your field).

Finally, try to make your submission as formal as possible and follow all the journal's submission guidelines to the letter. You don't have to submit our C.V. with your article. There's a significant chance they'll assume you have a tenured position anyway, especially if you can submit your work with your University letterhead and have a campus address.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 AM

I agree with others that, being outside the field, you're going to need some help being pointed towards the right journal. Solicit suggestions, then get online and find out what the author guidelines for those journals are. This information is usually available on the website for the journal. It will detail how it expects submissions to look, format, etc. Look at a couple of papers real briefly to see if it fits. Format your manuscript, and submit.

If the paper is good, I don't really see too much reason why it wouldn't get through. Not having any names on it could be a help, in some ways, as the referees have no reason to be involved in a bitch fest with you, whereas they might with some professors. Again, this is a spot where professors acquainted with the journal will probably be able to give you advice.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 AM

As the others have said... ask someone in the field which is an appropriate journal, and follow that journal's instructions to authors.

Also, be prepared that almost ALL manuscripts get sent back for revisions - some will be rejected outright but even the good ones need one or two rounds of changes before they get published ... if you're lucky you'll get some very valuable comments back from the referees, whether you get accepted or not. (If less lucky - well - hey - you've lost nothing.)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this an article or a book? Can you tell us more about what you've written? PM me the abstract if you don't want it public.

In theory, most journals will at least look at whatever is submitted to them. In practice, you'll have a very difficult time, being unknown and inexperienced. I'd suggest you find a professor who likes what you've written, take his/her suggestions for revisions, and then coauthor the paper.