Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Getting published

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on this little side project for a while. Its fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this an article or a book? Can you tell us more about what you've written? PM me the abstract if you don't want it public.

In theory, most journals will at least look at whatever is submitted to them. In practice, you'll have a very difficult time, being unknown and inexperienced. I'd suggest you find a professor who likes what you've written, take his/her suggestions for revisions, and then coauthor the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur that you'll most likely need a co-author that is respected in the field.

(I'd like to see it too if you're OK with that)
Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM

All,

thanks for the sugestions

I was def. going to send it to a few people on here to get feedback (rduke, madnak and boro were three that def. came to mind). I'll def throw avia on that list

Im not quite done yet, but should be within a few weeks to a month... once Im done, I will send some PMs
Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM

First of all this is awesome for a second semester senior.

You were very vague so this response is a little vague too...

The thing you're probably going to run into is that most fields have their own language. They have their own topics of interest, and their own formula for what they consider worthwhile work and not. Think of someone new who comes on to twoplustwo and posts a poker thought. Even if it's worthwhile, usually they just don't talk right, and they get ignored. Or they repeat what others have said.

So the most important thing you're going to have to do is do a literature search (of journals) for similar papers to your own. Take the book you have and look up the references, see what they are doing lately.

Talking with a professor is obviously the right idea. Most would love to hear from you. If you know one, talk to him. If he's a jerk, and you are a student at the university, it is perfectly appropriate to find a professor who you think is a match for the work and email him, even if he doesn't know you. Don't be afraid of them thinking you are dumb, professors don't expect anything out of undergrads except enthusiasm.

Finally, I thought most journals have blind reviews (i.e., the reviewers don't know who you are). So I don't know what to make of the other replies, everyone is weirding me out. Anyway, my field (Comp Sci) has blind reviews and I can't imagine other "mathy" journals are different. So at least you don't have to worry about having a name. But, like I said, if you don't do a literature search it will quickly be apparent that you don't speak the language. And it's a small world so sometimes blind reviews aren't so blind.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 AM

The reviewers may be blind, but the editors are not. An author's reputation will consciously or unconsciously affect how they weigh the reviews.

Perhaps more importantly, most journals have editors read the papers first to see whether they even deserve to be reviewed. If they get a paper by Random College Senior, they will be much more skeptical than for a paper by Established Professor.

What disjunction says about language is absolutely true, and is probably the biggest obstacle you face. Almost every undergrad paper I've read fails to use the conventional terminology, which is a red flag that the author doesn't know the background literature very well.

When you describe your paper as "fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work" that also sets off a BS detector. I haven't read it and I don't know you, so I can't judge, but the odds that you've correctly incorporated insights from 5 different fields are pretty low.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I thought most journals have blind reviews (i.e., the reviewers don't know who you are). So I don't know what to make of the other replies, everyone is weirding me out. Anyway, my field (Comp Sci) has blind reviews and I can't imagine other "mathy" journals are different. So at least you don't have to worry about having a name. But, like I said, if you don't do a literature search it will quickly be apparent that you don't speak the language. And it's a small world so sometimes blind reviews aren't so blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mathematics does not have blind reviews. You've got me curious as to which fields have this, or things like this.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you describe your paper as "fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work" that also sets off a BS detector. I haven't read it and I don't know you, so I can't judge, but the odds that you've correctly incorporated insights from 5 different fields are pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to note about this topic...

The project involves using data collected from twin studies to measure the heritability of a trait, models a population using data estimates from america, and then assumes that an independent party (ie. government) has a set of resources to distribute to the population, and are able to distribute the resources to the population as a function of the trait.

Assuming several plausible goals of the government, the model seeks to find optimal resource distribution.

Obviously this is a really lame description since it doesnt go into really any detail, but I just tried to get a little more info

I def. see what you mean with regard to the comment I made about the so many fields, but, it def isnt a "math paper", as much as it just has math in it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mathematics does not have blind reviews. You've got me curious as to which fields have this, or things like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biological sciences don't either.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to note about this topic...

The project involves using data collected from twin studies to measure the heritability of a trait, models a population using data estimates from america, and then assumes that an independent party (ie. government) has a set of resources to distribute to the population, and are able to distribute the resources to the population as a function of the trait.

Assuming several plausible goals of the government, the model seeks to find optimal resource distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. That makes more sense and makes it much more plausible that your paper has genuine insight.