Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Default $5+0.50 Playing AJs Aggressively (Too Aggressively?)

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1395)
Hero (t2965)
MP1 (t1465)
CO (t1365)
Button (t3265)
SB (t1335)
BB (t1710)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls t50, <font color="red">Hero raises to t175</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t150, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG calls t125

Flop: (t575) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t100</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2200</font>

I feel that with a big stack and the kind of opponents I'm dealing with at the $5.50s that the reraise preflop is okay. Normally I have no interest in AJs this early, but I chose to get involved here. Is this a mistake?

On the flop, I feel the push in unexploitable with all of my outs if he has actually hit. Correct?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: $5+0.50 Playing AJs Aggressively (Too Aggressively?)

Yes, fold preflop, you're burning money.

As played, call the flop.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 PM

It's sometimes a marginal preflop raise, but there's probably multiple players at your table who will call a preflop raise and stack off with TPnK or 2nd pair of nines, so I'd guess it's probably good here. If it's bad, it's not that bad. On the flop, yeah, given the pot size and three-way flop, just get it in now. There's no reasonable ranges for SB and UTG where it's not correct to shove.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 PM

My standart line would be to fold here PF.

I don't like a raise here because we will mostly be called by hands which range we are not far ahead of. Raising in early position brings another problem along. You are more likely to be OOP compared to a raise in LP. I am not saying that a raise here is bad, but it wouldn't suit my playing style and the value you lose by not playing this hand is marginal and shouldn't be a big factor on your ROI in a $5 STT. You will find much better spots than this one to play a hand aggressively.

I think you should play AJ if you can openraise from LP or if you think you will likely see a flop. In this example with a suited AJ and just 7 players left I might call to see a flop, but wouldn't commit with TPGK in most cases. I would rather like to hit Pair + FD or some combo-hand which we can semi-bluff with.

As played: I don't like a shove too much, because you have SB left to act as well and I think you can crank down your variance by calling, because on these limits it's pretty sure that you will get paid out if you hit. On higher Buy-In's with thinking players I like your line a bit more.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Fold preflop. Don't raise less than 4x to one limper. I'd suggest 225 if you want to raise, then again I'd fold preflop.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 PM

If you were in later position a limp behind preflop is fine, or on button I may even raise if I am ahead of UTG's limping raise, but to limp behind or raise from UTG+1 is just bad, reason being that we can't call a raise with a likely to be dominated hand, we will be oop to any caller if we raise, and any caller should have a better hand than us.

Fold pf, as played, call flop.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM

No one would limp? Limp, see the flop and call that small bet.
If someone raises preflop fold.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Limping is fine if table is passive, bad if active. I like it a lot more when we aren't utg+1.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM

i think limping pf and raising are both good, if you play well postflop.

this flop is an easy easy call. No need to raise to force him out when you are getting amazing odds to hit 9 flush outs 3 A outs, and maybe even a Jack makes you good sometimes. At this point we want to keep him in for the implied odds when we hit.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM

This is obviously marginal but the fact that you have a lot of chips and wont be crippled if you get stacked against most players makes me more inclined to play the hand. I would make it 200 or 225 preflop though to deny the limper implied odds and to try and discourage people from coming in behind us.
On the flop I would just call and possibly bluff the turn if broadway cards hit and he bet small again, but probably just call another small bet. I think there's a decent chance you can win a big pot if you hit your flush, so I'd rather just play for implied odds here.