Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Some Financial Aide Help.

I will be enrolling in a Junior College this Spring. I want to get my ducks in a row and make sure this goes as smooth as possible. No [censored], I've already been there done that, and I want this time around to be perfect.

I'm 22, make an estimated $16-18k/year, and will be living on my own. My 2006 W2's are very minuscule, as I didn't work very much in '06. Being that I'm under the age of 24, I will still be considered a Dependant student, and my mother/father's income will be used.

Most importantly...

I will be attending a JC and enrolling in a 72 credit (@ $135/credit) program. I want to fund my school through Federal aid as much as they're willing to give. If I can't get it 100% completely funded (probably won't), I'd like to find some other sources of aid so I can cover the remainder of school, and my cost of living for an entire year (12 month lease, at $465/month). As well as have some spending money that I can use to buy food, etc.

I don't want to pay rent month to month, I'd like to pay off my 1 year lease up front so I don't have to worry about a $465/month rental payment. I feel by doing this, I can save that $465, bank it, and pay off my loans when I'm out of school, and financially better off.

Tips, steps, and anything I need to know in order to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

So far I know this:

(not sure if this is the right track)

1. Fafsa
2. See if Fafsa will cover total cost of tuition + cost of living
3. If unable to cover all expenses (tuition + cost of living)apply for loans through Wells Fargo, Sallie Mae, etc.

FWIW, I have about $8k in prior student loans that haven't been payed off, one of which is a Stafford loan, and the other through Sallie Mae.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Some Financial Aide Help.

You should talk to your school's financial aid office as they should know better than any of us.

I highly doubt FASFA will come even close to covering your total costs depending on how much your parents make. 17K is a quite a chunk of change on their for a student.

Also, if you are able to cover your rent on your own, it makes no sense to take out a loan an pay your rent in full.

$5580 / year? You're going to be charged probably $1K in interest while you are in school.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Some Financial Aide Help.

Student loans have really low interest rates and the interest is tax deductable. It's possible(depending his tax situation) that he'd be better off borrowing the money and sticking it in a CD or something rather than paying each money.