Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: which universities??

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...udoc_brief.php

these ranking have been debated but are a good starting point
Old 11-22-2007, 01:06 AM

TBH it sounds like you don't too much idea as to schools in the US. It also sounds like you're not the greatest student, which you probably have to be if you're looking at any of the schools that you would recognise (usually the best schools have the international reputation).

Also I'm not sure about how you've been going at school so far to get into a Uni in Sweden but from what I've read about the US it's a whole thing of being 'well rounded' -- volunteering, extracurriculars etc. It sounds like people do that stuff because they have to rather than because they want to, but I guess that's the game.

But, yeah, learning about all that extra stuff you have to do on top of grades to be competitive came as quite a shock for me since in New Zealand it's done only on grades, and you're pretty much getting in anywhere given you've gained University Entrance.

Oh, and in your conditions you have a problem... "easy to get into for int. students" and "good reputation" nothing which is easy for int. students to get into is going to have a stellar rep.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TBH it sounds like you don't too much idea as to schools in the US. It also sounds like you're not the greatest student, which you probably have to be if you're looking at any of the schools that you would recognise (usually the best schools have the international reputation).

Also I'm not sure about how you've been going at school so far to get into a Uni in Sweden but from what I've read about the US it's a whole thing of being 'well rounded' -- volunteering, extracurriculars etc. It sounds like people do that stuff because they have to rather than because they want to, but I guess that's the game.

But, yeah, learning about all that extra stuff you have to do on top of grades to be competitive came as quite a shock for me since in New Zealand it's done only on grades, and you're pretty much getting in anywhere given you've gained University Entrance.

Oh, and in your conditions you have a problem... "easy to get into for int. students" and "good reputation" nothing which is easy for int. students to get into is going to have a stellar rep.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is spot on, i am a highschool senior from the US and having good test score and grades doesn't cut it at the best. a lot of weight goes into what you have done with extra-curricular activity, community service, just having something that makes you stand out among 10k+ applicants.

you are also completely right about the "part of the game" comment, people do a lot of things they wouldn't do on their own to make themselves appealing to colleges, something of which i a guilty. in short getting into a top school in the US requires good grades, SAT/ACT scores, a good essay(s) and something that makes you look different from all the other applicants (dont talk about poker, it will end badly).
Old 11-22-2007, 01:29 AM

University of Maryland - College Park... top ranked business program, relatively moderate weather (warm summer, winter isnt too cold), large student body, and overall fun school... plus you'll learn how to avoid getting mugged and raped, what else would you need from a college experience?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have not found a method yet on how to convert my grades into american standard yet... but im looking into it... but anymore tips and recommendation is welcomed... any school similar to duke but slightly easier to get into? I'm still looking for a good undergraduate business program!

[/ QUOTE ]

many top schools like duke don't have undergrad business programs. This website has a few good schools that you can research:
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/
Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have not found a method yet on how to convert my grades into american standard yet... but im looking into it... but anymore tips and recommendation is welcomed... any school similar to duke but slightly easier to get into? I'm still looking for a good undergraduate business program!

[/ QUOTE ]

UNC chapel hill? They are like 8miles apart and it's a very good school

Also i do have to suggest South Carolina. As a ballpark its about 70F right now (20-23 or something like that Celsius?). There is a really solid business program and a good international rep. It's not easy to get into but not as hard as many of the schools listed so far.

Also i would consider looking at Florida, Florida State and UGA with UGA prob being the hardest i've listed to get into after UNC
Old 11-22-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also i do have to suggest South Carolina. As a ballpark its about 70F right now (20-23 or something like that Celsius?). There is a really solid business program and a good international rep. It's not easy to get into but not as hard as many of the schools listed so far.

Also i would consider looking at Florida, Florida State and UGA with UGA prob being the hardest i've listed to get into after UNC

[/ QUOTE ]

UNC chapel hill is among the if not the hardest schools to get into if you are out of state, they have like 3-5% out of state acceptance iirc
Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
i have not found a method yet on how to convert my grades into american standard yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Wikipedia -- Grade (education)

This will help. It's from Wikipedia, so it's not authoritative, but it's a start. Both the US and Sweden is listed there, so you can at least get an estimate.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
UF is harder to get into than UGA.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UNC chapel hill is among the if not the hardest schools to get into if you are out of state, they have like 3-5% out of state acceptance iirc

[/ QUOTE ]

3-5% ????? Not Even Close

Out of State admissions aren't that bad at UNC-CH. It's Not nearly as hard as getting into an Ivy or other top school. I went to an information sessions and the admissions people implied that a 1350 SAT and a decent GPA would get you in OOS.

I would bet its about 25% acceptance Out of State and about 40-45% In State. It's not a cakewalk, but if you're a strong student, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not the best student and you're looking for warm weather I would look into the following:

Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas- Top notch business school, pretty good reputation, not difficult to get in, top-notch connections in the Dallas area

Pepperdine University in Malibu- Not extremely hard to get into, good location, good business program (IIRC)

Tulane University in New Orleans- I think it has an excellent reputation for Finance, good location, good reputation

I'm sure there are others that would work well. Those are just the ones that come to mind right now.